General Poetry posted April 12, 2016 Chapters:  ...397 398 -399- 401... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Tritina

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Skyway

by Treischel



When conscience says, "You need to walk today,"
But weather limits trails for a foray,
A pleasant option is the town's skyway.

There's lots to see and do in warm skyway,
no delay excuse to going today,
nor outerwear required for this foray.

So grab a friend, and plan a fun foray,
inside the buildings linked by a skyway.
you won't regret you got out there today.

Plan skyway foray today, don't delay.




Recognized


Skyways were invented here in Minnesota during the 1960's. Because of our bitter winters, we created ways to get around without being exposed to the weather. Prior to that, tunnels were the most common way to do it. Today, one can walk all over downtown St. Paul and Minneapolis, in deep winter, or heavy rain, without the need for a coat. This is a recent shot I took of some ladies in a skyway.

This poem is a Tritina.
A Tritina, which is a shorter cousin to the Sestina, involves using three, three-line stanzas (Tercets), and a final concluding line. Rather than rhyming, the three "end words" are used to conclude the lines of each stanza, in a set interweaving pattern of: ABC, CAB, BCA,
and all three end words must appear together in the final line.
Neither Tritina nor Sestina require a specific meter or line length, although 10 syllables is the most commonly used.
However, if you choose words that rhyme, as I have done here, you get a rhyming poem that interweaves the rhyme sequence. For this poem, I chose the three end words to be - today, foray, and skyway, giving me mono-rhymed Tercets.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on April 6, 2016.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.