General Poetry posted April 3, 2016 Chapters: Prologue 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Conversation of Elephants, Memories, and Poetry

A chapter in the book Of Poets and Poetry

Meeting Emily Romano

by ~Dovey


~Please Read Author's Notes First~

The Brevette:

~Never Forget~

elephants
e p i t o m i z e
memory




The Pictoral:

~Marching Forward~

like                    the                 or
    elephants         joy                 our
                 we'll          when            lovers
                     never          we               languished
                           forget        met                     regret





Mini-Monoverse:

~Love is Blind~

Memories --
blasphemies
of unease
to appease
enemies.

Cluttered mind
unrefined
is maligned.
Intertwined,
Love is blind.




The Musette:

~Insight~

Rejoice
in memory's
kind voice.

Suppose
glasses tinted
sans rose,

abet
even smallest
regret.




Memento:

~April Fools~

In April we celebrate fools
laced within poetry -
Surprise!
I'll be breaking all of the rules
scholars are teaching me --
Revise!


The Tableau:

~Jungle Tableau~

Wrinkled elephants
Trample aggressors,
A fierce lion roars,
Weakest gazelles fall
As hyenas laugh --
The fittest survive.


The Essence:

~Essentially~

In essence, rhyme's absurd
in absence of right word.




The Octelle

~Failing Memory~

By comparison, memory
fails when we become elderly;
while an elephant never
forgets, he will remember
each wrinkle marked on his skin,
be they from frowning or grin.
By comparison, memory
fails when we become elderly.




 



Recognized


Meet Emily Romano, a contemporary poet and inventor of poetry styles

Emily Romano was born in 1924 and has been married since 1942. She has four daughters. Emily is the originator of eight new poetry forms: Brevette, Essence, Memento, Mini-monoverse, Musette, Octelle, Pictorial, and Tableau. Rules and examples for some of these can be viewed at Shadow Poetry Invented Styles. Emily's poetry awards include selection for the National League of American Pen Women (5); 2005 Gerald Brady Award for Senryu (2); 2005 Anita Sadler Weiss Memorial Award; The Heron's Nest Grand Prize Award; Haiku Headlines Awards; Tanka Society of America Award; Modern Haiku (8 including the Clement Hoyt Memorial Award); The Saigyo Award for Tanka 2008; and many others. She has published over 5000 haiku. (excerpt from dailyhaiga.org)

From Shadow Poetry:

The Brevette, created by Emily Romano consists of a subject (noun), verb, and object (noun), in this exact order. The verb should show an ongoing action. This is done by spacing out the letters in the verb. There are only three words in the poem, giving it the title Brevette.

Each of the three words may have any number of syllables, but it is desirable that the poem have balance in the choice of these words. Unlike haiku, there are no other rules to follow.

The Pictorial, created by Emily Romano is a type of shape poem, where the entire poem must be printed in slanting lines indicative of the thought in those lines. The poem should consist of three lines with five words or less per line. There should be rhyme somewhere in the poem, either end rhyme or internal rhyme.

The Mini-monoverse is a poetry form originated by Emily Romano. Each Mini-monoverse is made up of two stanzas of five three-syllable lines. The rhyme scheme is a/a/a/a/a for the first stanza and b/b/b/b/b for the second stanza. For a double Mini-monoverse just add two more stanzas. The rhyme scheme for the third stanza should be c/c/c/c/c and for the fourth stanza, d/d/d/d/d. It is desirable that the Mini-monoverse tell a story, but this is not a hard and fast rule.

The Musette, created by Emily Romano is a poem that consists of three verses of three lines each. The first lines have two syllables; the second lines have four syllables, and the third lines have two syllables. The rhyme scheme is a/b/a for the first verse; c/d/c for the second verse, and e/f/e for the third verse. The title should reflect the poem's content.

Memento, created by Emily Romano is a poem about a holiday or an anniversary, consisting of two stanzas as follows: the syllable count should be 8 beats for line one; 6 beats for line two; and two beats for line three. This is repeated twice for each stanza. The rhyme scheme is: a/b/c/a/b/c for each of the two stanzas.

The Tableau, a poetry form created by Emily Romano in October of 2008, consists of one or more verses, each having six lines. Each line should have five beats. There is no set rhyme scheme, although rhyme may be present. The title should contain the word tableau. Since the dictionary states the word tableau means picture or representation, the poem should reflect this. A picture should come to mind as the poem is read.

The Essence, created by Emily Romano is a short, structured form of two-lines, six syllables each with an end rhyme and internal rhyme.

The Octelle, created by Emily Romano, is a poem consisting of eight lines using personification and symbolism in a telling manner. The syllable count structure for this verse is 8, 8, 7, 7, 7, 7, 8, 8, and the rhyme scheme is aa/bb/cc/aa. The first two lines and the last two lines are identical.

artwork courtesy of pixabay

I hope you enjoyed this conversation of elephants, memories, and poetry.

Party on! April is just beginning!

Kim


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. ~Dovey All rights reserved.
~Dovey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.