Writing Poetry posted April 1, 2016 Chapters: -Prologue- 1... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
An Abecedarian invitation reminiscent of Chaucer's, An ABC

A chapter in the book Of Poets and Poetry

Prologue to Of Poets and Poetry

by ~Dovey

April is the month we celebrate poetry.
Be it known; all here are invited to join me-
Commencement of merriment to last all month long,
Distinguished poets and debutants all belong.
Expect to meet old favorites and make new friends.
Fancy attire not required, the fun never ends.
Geoffrey Chaucer will recite his, "An ABC."
He's sharing his abecedarian tips with me.
Invitations were sent to the poetic greats,
Just imagine conversing with them and their dates.
Keats promised a cameo, his stay might be brief,
Ladies, he's a romantic, though riddled with grief.
Marianne Moore sent in her RSVP, and yet
Now I'm excited, as she and I've never met.
Ogden Nash insists he's just quite ordinary,
People have said he's really extraordinary!
Quietly beautiful; elusive Emily's
Reading her works at the Bash of the Centuries.
So, you'll not want to miss the daily selection,
This poetic party's a wordsmith's perfection.
Unexpected surprises will adorn these works,
Very few of these poets will come without quirks.
With their roads less travelled, as attested by Frost,
Xanadu's attained and paradise is not lost.
Your presence is requested, let me not ask twice,
Ziggy Stardust's on guitar and drinks are on ice.



NaPoWriMo 2016 (30 Poems in April) contest entry

Recognized


We are celebrating NaPoWriMo (National Poetry Writing Month) 2016 is the 20th anniversary of National Poetry Month! As a special tribute I'm hosting this contest, and as you'll read above, the Bash of the Centuries (all poets are invited to attend!)

artwork courtesy of Pixabay

As an extra tidbit, throughout the month I'll be featuring guest poets and highlighting their style or taking inspiration from their work. I'd like to introduce you the Abecedarian and Geoffrey Chaucer (1342-1400). Chaucer's most famous work is the epic poem, "The Canterbury Tales," with which you may be familiar. In "The Canterbury Tales," thirty pilgrims entertain each other with their stories on their trek to Canterbury, thus, it is only appropriate that Chaucer lead us on this expedition of poets and poetry. Today I'd like to call your attention to his poem, "An ABC", in which each stanza begins with a subsequent letter of the alphabet (although, he omitted J, U, and W)

Definition from Poets.org: The abecedarian is an ancient poetic form guided by alphabetical order. Generally each line or stanza begins with the first letter of the alphabet and is followed by the successive letter, until the final letter is reached. The earliest examples are Semitic and often found in religious Hebrew poetry. The form was frequently used in ancient cultures for sacred compositions, such as prayers, hymns, and psalms. There are numerous examples of abecedarians in the Hebrew Bible; one of the most highly regarded is Psalm 118 (or 119 by King James numbering). It consists of twenty-two eight-line stanzas, one for each letter of the Hebrew alphabet. Chaucer's "An ABC" is an excellent medieval example of the form. He crafted his translation of a French prayer into twenty-three eight-line stanzas that follow the alphabet.

Chaucer is also know as "The Knight Poet" and was married to Phillipa de Roet. He is often referred to as the "Father of English Literature," and is credited with introducing hundreds, if not thousands of words to the English language that are commonly used today. He is buried in Westminster Abbey and was the first of the literary greats to be laid to rest in what now is known as, "Poet's Corner."

Today Abecedarians are more common in children's poetry, though, there are other more serious works out there, too. The Abecedarian form gave birth to the Acrostic form that is so popular today.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. ~Dovey All rights reserved.
~Dovey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.