General Poetry posted February 1, 2016 Chapters:  ...366 367 -368- 369... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Monotetra

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Police on Horses

by Treischel



Policemen, on the public's side
For crowd protection, horses ride,
While children love to stand beside.
A source of pride! A source of pride!

There'll be no terrorist abuse,
As parks are safe for public use,
Once detriment, the fiends deduce.
There's no excuse! There's no excuse!

So kids are free to run and play,
And see the sights there on display,
As mounted horsemen guard the way.
A lovely day. A lovely day.

So dance and prance and play outside,
As feats of mayhem are denied.
Police on horses have been spied.
A source of pride! A source of pride!






St. Paul, Minnesota is having its Winter Carnival this week, so I was out and about in the area, and spotted these policemen on horses, watching over the festivities. Since, policemen, in general, have been getting some bad publicity lately, I thought I'd post something a little more positive. The kids were loving the animals. The police were talking to them, answering their questions, and letting them pet the horses.

This poem is a Monotetra.
The Monotetra is a poetic form developed by Michael Walker. Here are the basic rules:
It is comprised of quatrains (four-line stanzas) in tetrameter (four metrical feet) for a total of 8 syllables per line.
Each quatrain consists of mono-rhymed lines (so each line in the first stanza has the same type of rhyme, and each line in the second stanza used the same rhyme that its stanza establishes, etc.) The final line of each stanza carries the rhyme of the three previous lines, but repeats the first four syllables of that line to create an echo. So, you have mono-rhymed lines in tetrameter (thus the name - Monotetra).
This poem can be as short as one quatrain or as long as a poet wishes.

This poem has four stanzas, so total rhyme scheme becomes: a,a,a,(A,A) - b,b,b,(B,B) - c,c,c,(C,C) - a,a,a,(A,A),
where the parenthesis indicate rhyme within the same line, and the capital letters indicate a repeat. I also repeated the rhyme scheme and last line of the first stanza in the last Stanza. But this is not a requirement.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on Snday, January 312, 2016.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.