Sports Poetry posted January 5, 2016 Chapters:  ...62 63 -64- 65... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Lyricat Poem

A chapter in the book Minnesota Poems

2015 Minnesota Vikings

by Treischel



Sports, often dominated
by perennial
team powerhouses,
shine celestial.
Odd makers love them,
but others still strive.
Nobody gave the purple a chance.
Still, they stayed alive.

Yes, it wasn't all pretty,
as some losses sucked.
Vikings fought back!
Some vict'rys were plucked
from the depths of despair.
When season begins,
nobody gave the purple a chance.
Wow! Eleven wins!

Exactly the opposite,
from what they all say.
Deigned the bottom,
the Vikes beat Green Bay.
Captured the moment!
Since first training camp,
nobody gave the purple a chance.
Now, division champ!






On Sunday night January 3, 2016, my team, a professional American football team, the Minnesota Vikings, defeated the Green Bay Packers to win the NFC Division Championship, and put them into the playoffs. The team color is purple, so they are often called "The Purple". There are 16 games in a season that starts in July with Training Camps. There are four teams in the division - the Green Bay Packers, the Minnesota Vikings, the Chicago Bears, and Detroit Lions. The Packers are the perennial winners of this division, and have won it the last four consecutive years. Since the beginning of training camp, the Vikings were expected to be at the bottom of the division. With Sunday's win, they finished with a record 11-5 to win the title and home field advantage in the first playoff game. So this poem is to celebrate that victory. Here's to success in the playoffs and a Superbowl Win!

This poem is a Lyricat.
The Lyricat is a newly invented verse format by I am Cat, a fellow FanStorian. It carries facets of a free verse as well as a rhymed poem. There are several short lines with a couple of longer lines embedded, to give a fast and catchy spirit. The long repeated line interlinks the stanzas for a powerful impact.

The LyriCat has a syllable count of:
7, 5, 5 , 5, 5, 5, 9, 5,
and the rhyme scheme of each individual stanza is:
a, b, c, b, d, e, F, e.
No set rhythm is prescribed. It has a 3 stanza minimum and the 9 syllable line (F) in each stanza is a repeating line.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on January 5, 2016, of one of several team memorabilia items he owns related to the team.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.