Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted December 31, 2015 Chapters:  ...127 128 -129- 130... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Triptic Sonnet

A chapter in the book Family

Farewell 2015

by Treischel


Let's wish this Twenty Fifteen fair goodbye!
Wife's mother's death, and several health concerns
Created many months of twists and turns.
I'll shed no tender tear when it adjurns.

Such circumstance to ponder -- laugh or cry,
As things broke down, investments did decline.
So many prayers sought miracles divine --
The best resort, when it won't help to whine.

Don't get me wrong, not all has gone awry.
There's published works, some parties, and awards,
Successful surgery, and move towards
New home with all its unforeseen rewards.

So toast the new and wish the old farewell,
A Happy New Year, all the Best as well.





Looking back on 2015, it had its ups and downs. I won't be sad to see it go.
It started out with my wife's mother dying. I was diagnosed with Sleep Apia, and started using a CPAP machine. It turned out that my wife needed a lot of dental work, so she underwent periodontal work and had a new crown put on. Later, her left knee got too painful to walk, due to bone-on-bone compression, so she underwent a full knee replacement, and is working through recovery with physical therapy. Her brother's heart went bad, and he was placed on a heart replacement list. However, he has recovered amazingly and no longer needs a new heart. Karen's sister's husband underwent a hip replacement too. Our air conditioning unit went out this summer and had to be replaced. Our living room's love seat broke down and wore out, so we needed to replace it too.The Stock Market had a very bad year, and many of our investments declined. Our daughter had difficulty selling her house and getting into her new one. The deal almost fell through. In the meantime, her family had to move in with us for several weeks and we had to help bridge her loan. She did pay us back though.

It wasn't all bad. I published my second book of poetry in April. We celebrated my brother's Anniversary in July, and our 40th in November. Even with the physical issues we had, we managed to get out camping and on a riverboat ride. So, I am glad it's over. I'd like to thank my FanStory friends for your concern and prayers. Here's to a better new year in 2016.

This poem is a Triptic Sonnet.
This poem is a Triptic Sonnet. Never heard of that? Well, that's because I just created it. At least, to the best of my knowledge and research. You see, I like poems that have triple consecutive rhymes. I feel that really brings the rhyme to life. So, I incorporated that here in this Sonnet. The name Triptic derives from the triple scheme.

A Triptic Sonnet has the usual 14 lines, consisting of three quatrains with a rhyming couplet, and a volta at line 9. What distinguishes it is the rhyme scheme and meter. The fist line of each quatrain rhyme with each other, interlinking the stanzas. The next 3 lines of the stanza all ryhme, creating a elegant echo effect. The rhyme scheme is:
abbb accc addd ee
It is written in any iambic meter. I chose iambic pentameter here (10 syllables, or 5 poetic feet).

This photograph was taken by the author himself on July 10, 2015.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.