General Poetry posted September 6, 2015 Chapters:  ...299 300 -301- 302... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Blitz Poem

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Butter for Soldiers

by Treischel



Pass the salt
Pass the butter
Butter the bread
Butter me up
Up side the head
Up the old river
River flowing wild
River in a rage
Rage of a child
Rage against the light
Light my fire
Light the night
Night of adventure
Night of delight
Delight in nature
Delight in desire
Desire and shiver
Desire it all
All to the giver
All, all for one
One for the Gipper
One off the wall
Wall of the sun
Wall in the mall
Mall selling liquor
Mall is now closed
Closed to excitement
Closed now forever
Forever exposed
Forever with you
You are my sunshine
You have been true
True to our memory
True through and through
Through to the end
Through thick and thin
Thin as the ice
Thin as the dew
Dew on the window
Dew on the grass
Grass under trees
Grass in the fields
Fields full of cow herds
Fields full of flowers
Flowers for the bees
Flowers for the soldiers
Soldiers buried in rows
Soldiers guard the pass
Pass on the news
News 'round the table
Pass the salt





The Nez Pierce War of 1877 fought several battles in the Yellowstone area of Montana. The Native Americans fought their way from centeral Idaho trying to reach Sitting Bull in Canada. Many on both sides died, which I reflected in the love and death segments. The table represents how the news was mostly rumors for most people. Most of the Ameican public was unaware of these battles in the Mountains. I used butter as a symbol for the Yellowstone.

This poem is a Blitz Poem.
The Blitz Poem, a poetry form created by Robert Keim. This form of poetry is a stream of short phrases and images with repetition and rapid flow, a stream of consciousness, if you will.

Begin with one short phrase, it can be a cliche. Begin the next line with another phrase that begins with the same first word as line 1. The first 48 lines should be short, but at least two words.

The third and fourth lines are phrases that begin with the last word of the 2nd phrase, the 5th and 6th lines begin with the last word of the 4th line, and so on, continuing, with each subsequent pair beginning with the last word of the line above them, which establishes a pattern of repetition. Continue for 48 total lines with this pattern, And then the last two lines repeat the last word of line 48, then the last word of line 47.

The title must be only three words, with some sort of preposition or conjunction joining the first word from the third line to the first word from the 47th line, in that order.

There should be no punctuation. When reading a BLITZ, it is read very quickly, pausing only to breathe. The word Blitz is derived from German, meaning "fast". There is no rhyme or meter requirement.

For this poem I did include some rhyme, and brought the poem full circle, having the last line echo the first. But, that is not a requirement.

This picture is from Yaho Images.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.