General Poetry posted August 23, 2015 Chapters:  ...113 114 -115- 116... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Scattering Her Ashes at Lake Harriet

A chapter in the book Family

Mom's Wish

by Treischel


Her ashes swirling in the breeze
In movements that bring reveries,
That touch the waves to tarry yet,
Then mingle with Lake Harriet,
Brings closure possibilities
To her life.

For here it was she often went,
A place she was at peace, content,
To walk a daily path around.
It's here where she was often found --
A certain clue to what it meant
To her life.

So here is where she asked to be.
She stated this with certainty
To me, her first and oldest child.
So I am truly reconciled
To honor this, the last decree
Of her life.

I stand here on this favored shore
With ashes strewn forevermore.

Forever remembered

Forever missed.





Recognized


On Friday, July 21, 2015, my wife and I decided it was the perfect day to finally scatter her mother's ashes in the Lake she so cherished, Lake Harriet in Minneapolis, Minnesota. You'd think it would be a simple task, but there was quite a bit of sibling argument about where she should be interred. my wife's sister was the primary caregiver of her mother in later years, and she wanted all the ashes buried in the local plot in Lakewood Cemetery. But Karen, my wife, had discussed scattering them in Lake Harriet with her mother several times. It was finally allowed to give her a few ounces of her ashes to go into the Lake. We waited for a windy, sunny day in summertime to do it and purchased a stone plaque to place in the water where the ashes were scattered. The collage shows the site, the plaque front and back, and what is written on it. Her ashes floated a bit then disolved into a milky substance that sunk to the bottom slowly. On one side we wrote her name, birth and death date. The other side reads "Forever Remembered, Forever Missed".

This poem is a set of quintains witrh a refrain and closing envoi. The rhyme scheme is:
aabbaR ccddcR eeffeR gghi

The photographs for the collage were taken and organized by the author himself.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.