Horror and Thriller Fiction posted July 21, 2015 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A nightmare I recently had about creepy crawlies

A chapter in the book Dr. Howler's Nightmares

Bug Out

by Brett Matthew West



Background
Doctor Howler, the Creator of these Nightmares, believes his Bedtime Stories are suitable for children of all ages. After reading them you may disagree with the good Doctor's assessment.
It had been raining hard for seven days in a row. Torrential downpours had formed water puddles throughout the landscape surrounding the tiny little village of Cambridge.

The rain, for me, is always a welcoming sight to behold. It refreshes my senses and gives me the strength needed to carry out my marching orders. Me and my army of comrades that is.

Our destination sits way down deep in a secluded valley. It is a peaceful and quiet little town that makes our attack so much easier to carry out.

However, Cambridge is not the first town we have conquered on our quest to invade and destroy. No crops, no animals, and definitely no one of the human persuasion has ever escaped our destructive path.

We always line up side by side before our march begins. That way nothing we encounter remains after we strike.

Humans are our Number One enemy. They only think they are the top dog on the food chain. And, for several thousands of years maybe they were. But, that is no more. We are here to rightfully claim what is ours for the taking.

The high and mighty human race has proven weak every time we invade. And, now, nothing can stop us, or even slow our advances down. Soon we will conquer the world and establish our rightful place as the world's ultimate superpower.

What are we? We are a laboratory experiment gone real bad that should never have been attempted in the first place. But, you sure could not tell the foolish humans that created us that. And, they were our first taste of blood. However, they will not be our last.

Far from it. These rogue experimenters, against their government's strictest orders, took a few of us in our previous state and lathered them with radioactive solutions just to observe the affects they would have on a common cockroach.

Huge mistake! Their little illegal experiments went completely haywire and their radioactive solutions created us super bugs. On the average those of us who have undergone these treatments measure five feet long. We have jaws that are so powerful we can eat our way through any material known to exist. And, we have fifty pairs of legs that take us anywhere we want to go.

After becoming supersized, unstoppable, and indestructible creatures, with a never ending appetite, we knew we needed a leader. Being the largest, and the bravest, as well as the first one these experiments were performed on, I became the chosen one.

I am also the most blood-thirstiest of the whole lot of us, as well as the most devious. After I line my troops up across the horizon I assume my position in the front and center of the formation.

Slowly I move my army forward. Our fangs gnashing as we go, chomping on everything in our way. Grass, rocks, animals. It doesn't matter. We eat it all.

So, now here we are overlooking Cambridge. I have the bugle sounded as loudly as it can be heard. I want the human population of the town to know we are here. Let them try to run.

We will spare no one as we crawl all over whatever stands in our way. And, the most fun of our attack on humans is the ease with which we pick their bones clean.

With Cambridge now a distant memory we advance our army forward. We will not stop until our final destination, and world dominance, is ours. What are you going to do when you and your town are on our radar?

We welcome the opportunity to meet, or should I much more correctly say, dine on you as well!

Nothing can ever stop us from taking over the world and leaving total destruction in our wake.

Who's next?



Recognized


How would you like to deal with this super power?

This was an actual nightmare I had about a week or so ago.

I HATE roaches to begin with, and to think they were on a march to become the world's ultimate super power is even scarier!











Thanks BrooklynMyra for the use of your picture. It goes so very nicely with my little story.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.