War and History Poetry posted July 20, 2015 Chapters:  ...265 266 -267- 268... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Jazz Sonnet

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Groovin'

by Treischel



When those virtuoso instruments all play
Discordant notes in syncopation,
The elements of Jazz, done in such a way,
Create elation.


Accompanied by piano and the drums,
The saxophone is wailing melancholy rhythmic sounds,
That is countered by blues guitar's pulsin', squealin' rounds -
Two pop melodies compete.


Ramblin' rhythm comes cascading to your feet
As improvisation comes
Got its beat, got its heat, its got soul.
Tap your feet, feeling sweet, lose control.


So much pizzazz,
Because it's Jazz




It took some time to lay this one out, as Jazz has unique elements. Jazz is a very complex musical genre. Because of its improvised nature, with multiple melodies and rhythms working together, listeners accustomed to more structured, predictable forms of music might find Jazz difficult to follow. The same is true for the Jazz Sonnet. It tends to break many Sonnet rules. Jazz ensembles, which can have two to 20 players, range in style, size and instrumentation, but they are all united by three basic elements: improvisation, syncopation and blue notes. These traits must translate to the poetry then, in rhyme, rythmn, and meter. Also, a Jazz poem must be about the music. From the very beginning, Jazz has been about freedom, movement and individual expression. Its break from musical tradition and emphasis on improvisation and innovation set it up as the backdrop to cultural changes. So here is my interpretation of a Jazz Sonnet.

This is a Jazz Sonnet.
A Jazz Sonnet has the familiar layout of a traditional Sonnet with its first 12 lines seperated into 3 Quatrains and a closing rhymed couplet. However, none of the lines in the stanzas have an even syllable count, making iambic verse difficult. This promotes discordance (blue notes?). But there is rhyme, it's just not what you'd typically find. You'll see elements that play against each other, while others blend. Afterall, Jazz sought to be different. Each Jazz Sonnet is unique in style, meter, and rhyme. So be creative.

For this poem the syllable count is:
11,9,11,5-- 11,13,13, 7--11,7,9,9--4,4
The rhyme scheme is:
abab cdde ecff gg

This picture is from Yahoo Images.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.