General Fiction posted May 9, 2015 Chapters: --1- 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The Parton Home for girls in the Midwest, USA

A chapter in the book China Hat

China Hat

by Magic Wand


Miss Olivia, beloved Headmistress of the Parton Home for Girls looked out the window as the first snowfall of the winter began, thinking of the excitement the white landscape would provoke in the residents when they rose in the morning. The quietly falling flakes belied the giddy voices that would respond to the overnight blanketing of the grounds. They loved the snow, catching it on their tongues, and throwing snow balls, not to mention the delicious "snow cream" mixture Geneva, the school's cook often helped them concoct for dessert.

How happy "Livvy" had been since she found her niche in the school. The abundance of giggles she heard in the halls never failed to lift her spirits and fill her mind with the happy thoughts of her own childhood. All she wanted out of life was to help these unfortunate children find love and laughter, however temporary, within the walls of this institution.

She knew this was why she was good at her job. She nurtured orphaned newcomers by helping them adjust to the changes in their lives. When she first came to the school, it was she who found the locket in Dovie's file as she was acquainting herself with all the girls in the home. She brought the little girl into her office, and kindly showed it to her, hoping it would provide comfort. She told her to clasp it in her hand, or kiss it when she became lonely.

"How fortunate for you, Dovie, to have such a sentimental keepsake, with a lock of hair and picture of your father that was lovingly worn by your mother. When Dovie mentions that she can't remember her mother, father, or the locket, Miss Olivia gently explains that due to the injuries she sustained in "the accident," some memory loss occurred. "But don't worry, dear, the doctor described it as temporary amnesia, and soon you will be good as new."

One evening, while Dovie was crying in her bed, another girl who had befriended her tiptoed out of the dorm and timidly knocked on Miss Olivia's door. At first she wasn't heard, so she bravely knocked a little harder. "Come in," the Headmistress said, expecting one of the teachers. As she looked up from her reading, she was surprised to see Lottie standing there in her bare feet and nightie.

"My goodness, little one what brings you here? You should be sound asleep with sweet dreams by now." Lottie explained to the Headmistress that if Dovie didn't stop crying, the older girls would begin making fun of her. Some of the other children would also begin to cry as well.

Miss Olivia and Lottie hurried down the hall to the dorm, entering just as Frances, an older girl living at the orphanage began to admonish Dovie. Standing over her bed, she belittled the child saying, "You are such a baby. You should go sleep with the other babies in the nursery, and don't forget to wear a diaper.

"Frances! Please return to your bed while I see to Dovie. All you other girls, close your eyes and try to think happy thoughts so you may get to sleep quickly.

Now, Now Dovie, what is troubling you tonight?" Soft murmurs and gently whispered words of comfort soothe Dovie. In a short time she is lulled back to sleep. Miss Olivia is surprised that the nightmares have resurfaced, as Dovie has not had any for a couple of years. When she first came to the school, the little one rarely mentioned the fire that took the lives of her parents. But the fear she felt while being carried quickly out of danger by her unknown rescuers, and the loud shouts of others fighting the blaze intruded on her dreams.

Lottie quickly climbed back into the bed closest to Dovie's, and covered her head with the thin sheet, trying to avoid the glare Francis was sending her way. Knowing better, she nervously pulled the sheet slowly down below her eyes, then sees Francis standing next to her bed, with threateningly squinted eyes and balled fists. Up over her head flew the sheet again as she flopped over to face the other direction, trying not to tremble. She had learned by watching others that it is never a good idea to cross Francis.

Glancing over, Miss Olivia says, "Frances, I think you would do well to get a good night's sleep. Remember tomorrow is our test on the Presidents."

The girl walked slowly back to her bed, then sweetly said "Thank you, Miss Olivia, I have been studying very hard."

"Goodnight, Dears."

"Goodnight, Miss Olivia." Is heard throughout the dorm.
*****
Miss Olivia is in her office, perusing papers and files on her desk when Francis is ushered in by Miss Ruby. The teacher's hair is frazzled, her face angry, as she unceremoniously shoves the student into a chair next to the desk. "I have to tell you, Livvy, this young girl is trying my patience. As you know, the class has been studying the Presidents. And for a full week, Francis has not turned in her work, nor did she do well on the test today."

Miss Olivia looks at her kindly and asks, "Francis, what do you have to say for yourself?"

"It's not MY fault. I can never find a book because there is always someone else hogging the ones I need. I can't study, because the girls giggle and talk about things ladies shouldn't even know, when I need 'em to be quiet in the library. And last night I couldn't sleep because Dovie was crying. Again. No wonder I couldn't pass the test today. I can barely think even now!"

"I have a suggestion, Miss Ruby, let's see if it is acceptable to you. I would like to have Francis come to my office, work on her assignments to get caught up over the next few days, and I can give her the test. If she does well, she can return to class. But since she neglected to turn in her homework for a week, as a punishment I will give her some tasks to do here, such as dusting and reorganizing the book cases. Would that be a suitable solution?"

Relieved, the anger left her face, and Miss Ruby quickly agreed. "When would you like her to start?" She eagerly asked.

"I think we could start today with the tidying up of my office and then tomorrow, instead of going to your class, she can come here to work on her assignments. I have quite a bit of office work to do right now, so I can keep a close eye on her. I think Francis and I will get along just fine. We will even try to catch her up with the class before she returns to you."





Dovie and Lottie grow up as close as sisters in an orphanage and yearn for adventure as adults. They decide to head West to be in-home teachers for wealthy families setting in the Oregon territory. They face trials involving the sex trade, Chinese prejudices and dangers they never knew existed.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Magic Wand All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Magic Wand has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.