General Poetry posted April 14, 2015 Chapters: -Prologue- 1... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
What this collection is all about.

A chapter in the book Littoral

Introduction

by Pantygynt

This book is a collection of poems about those places in our world where the land meets the sea, the beaches, the coastline or, to employ a less common word that covers them all, the littoral. The poems are concerned in many cases with the continuous war, waged between sea and land, in which first one and then the other claims victory as the tide ebbs and flows, for the most part twice a day or thereabouts.

This ongoing warfare between our two main protagonists, effectively runs the lives of the countless sea creatures and wildfowl that flock to the coast, so some of the poems are about them too. Then there is mankind to be considered. For thousands of years men have won their living from the sea, but we are not concerned here with deep water sailors and fishermen, so much as those who work the dangerous coastal waters, where rocks and sandbanks lie in wait for the unwary. We shall also be investigating the lifeboatmen who have to rescue those who get into difficulties around our coasts. Weaker than Water retells one of Selkie legends, part of our rich, coastal folklore.

More recent has been the discovery of the pleasures of sea bathing, so there is a poem describing a bank holiday beach scene. By way of contrast there is a song lyric that I originally wrote in the mid nineteen sixties describing a seaside resort in the depths of winter. As well as those who are only down for the day, there are many artists and craftspeople that live out their lives by the seashore, recording its moods in their pictures and sculpture; they also have their moment under the spotlight here. There will inevitably be some aspects of the littoral that I have missed; if you can think of any then please, let me know and I may be able to include them in a later edition.

Since history has often been about the invasion of one country by another, I decided to include one poem that deals with the largest seaborne invasion of them all, which took place on the Normandy beaches in 1944.

The poems here are varied in style. A Shakespearean style sonnet and blank verse poetry rub shoulders with other formal styles such as, roundel, triolet and terza rima. There is an example of alliterative verse in the style of the Anglo-Saxon sagas (that's for the Selkie story), which is the oldest form of written poetry in the English language. It's right there with examples of free verse, sestina and villanelle. Perhaps the most ambitious piece is a crown of heroic sonnets, covering the life of the most decorated lifeboatman of all time, Henry Blogg, coxswain for thirty-eight years of the lifeboat, based at Cromer, on the Norfolk coast of England.

I have put this collection together because I enjoy the challenge of getting to grips with a wide variety of styles and matching them, appropriately I hope, to their content. It is my earnest hope that you will enjoy reading them as much as I have enjoyed my part in their creation




Recognized


CONTENTS
1. Sonnet - Low Water Springs
2. Blank Verse - Broken Breaker
3. Roundel - Pebble on the Strand
4. Terza Rima - Nocturne
5. Triolet - Tiny King Crab
6. Free Verse - Venetian Blind
7. Free Verse - Eccles-by-the-Sea
8. Free Verse - Salt Marsh
9. Minimalistic rhyme - playground of the Gull
10. Something Fishy - Four Poems for Kids: i. Sideways Glance ii. Flatfish iii. Lucky Herring iv. Larry the Lobster
11. Alliterative Verse - Weaker than Water
12. Free Verse - Matter for Concern
13. abcba Rhyme - Polhena Beach, Sri Lanka 0600
14. Sestina - Driftwood Sculptress
15. Pantoum - On a Bank Holiday Beach
16. Senryu Suite - British Summer Time
17. Pastiche [well almost] - Tusker Rock
18. Song Lyric - Close Season
19. Villanelle - Gale Warning
20. Original Form - Epitaph for the Future 11/03/2011
21. Prose Poem - Bloody Omaha
22. Crown of Heroic Sonnets - Henry Blogg of Cromer
23. Sonnet - Home is the Sailor
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by suzannethompson2 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Pantygynt All rights reserved.
Pantygynt has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.