Biographical Non-Fiction posted March 24, 2015 Chapters: 10000 10000 -10000- 10000... 


A love story broken by others

A chapter in the book Beautiful Death

Sad lovers Owen and joy

by cbat



Background
This is a story of my time in the 60's I am a teenager.
Leaving my hometown to find work, I found employment in the establishment called Miracle Manor.
A place the homeless and unwanted people go.
She turns every one's heads, an unusual sight being escorted in by an orderly, she comes from another home something like this. Why she has ended here no one knows.

Tiny and petite she was a delicate beautiful little thing.
Her long curly brown hair reaching her waist, she had big brown eyes.
She was in her early twenties.
She reeked of money.

So why was she here? In this place of poverty and age.

The explanation; She was born to a wealthy family , but had seizures.
(In the 60's epilepsy was considered a mental disease).
Her family, embarrassed; put her into homes for mentally and physically dependent people. Salving their conscience by giving her what they thought was the best money could buy. She was dressed in expensive clothing. She seemed also to have received as extensive education.
This choice of residence also kept her hidden from her family's friends.
From my conversations with her she indicated that her family did not visit.

Despite her treatment she was full of life, eager and interested in everything.
She was like a bright light in this dreary place.

Owen; Has a slightly balding head, regular build and is younger than most of the patients.
He is not unattractive, certainly more appealing than others living here.
He is approximately 35 years old and has been here most of his life.
He is considered "slow".
He works and wanders over the house, talking to everyone. He is often restless. He has never shown a sign of aggression or violence.

As an care taker, I found Owen to be full of curiosity, aware of his disability and what he has been denied.

Joy is escorted in, clearly this home is less than she has been used to.

The caretakers are briefed on her condition, kindly we are told of the unfair diagnoses.
We must watch Joy for seizures, if she collapses we need to put a spoon between her lips to prevent her biting her tongue.
This did not happen during my time with her.

From the second Owen laid eyes on Joy he was captivated.
We watched as she got to know him, He took care of her not wanting to be separated.
She quickly realized her power over him and used it to fill her lonely life.

I would come to work; To find them laughing and flurting they became completely engrossed in each other, they walked, worked and played together, if a stranger saw them he would not realize their disabilities.

They both seemed to glow with this newly found love.

Now caretakers wonder, do we need to assure they are not in a sexual relationship?.
Research tells that both have been medically altered early in their lives to avoid reproduction.

We the onlookers saw this as sweet and innocent; why not let them find pleasure in this restricted life?.
Then misguided hopes and dreams along with their plans were revealed.

Owen and Joy wanted more; A normal life with marriage away from this place. They believed this was possible.

Shortly after: I came to work, to find Joy was gone.
Her family has taken her away again.
Owen was heartbroken, He would not fully recover from this.

We the caretakers were also heartbroken, How could life be so cruel.

As years pass this "Disease" is diagnosed and better treated, it has nothing to do with the mental capability of the carrier also the seizures are controllable. People lead good normal lives.




Watching as medical teniques and technology advance the horrendous practices of less than a century ago cause sadness.

I am releasing this, I will continue to edit my writings.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. cbat All rights reserved.
cbat has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.