Romance Fiction posted March 22, 2015 Chapters:  ...37 38 -39- 40... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Now What?

A chapter in the book Texas Dream Catcher

Chapter Catorce; Part Dos

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Soni Adler owns the Rockin' A ranch. I35 goes through it. Drug & human traffickers use I35 for transportation to other parts of the US. Jacob Blackwood is an ICE agent. Will these two find love?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Jim set the sandwich on his plate. "On the trail, Soni accused me. I guarantee it's not me."

Tatiana stepped into the dining room. "I know it's not you. I can feel it in my bones. It's somebody evil."

"I agree with my wife. Whoever this is, he, or maybe it's a she, is pure evil."

TODAY'S POST:

After Jim and Alex finished their sandwiches, Tatiana removed the dishes and said, "It's late. I'm going to bed. I'll finish in the morning. Alex, are you coming?"

"Yep. Jim, how about you?"

"I'm headed that direction."

Tatiana stopped at Soni's door. "We're on our way to bed. Do you need anything?" She waited for a response and didn't get one. Slowly opening the door, she noticed the light on in the bathroom and knocked on the door. "Soni, are you all right?" Still not receiving an answer she peeked inside. Soni, still covered with bubbles, had fallen asleep.

"Soni, Soni," Tatiana called softly. When Soni stirred, Tatiana smiled. "We're going to bed. Maybe you should too."

"I agree."

"Good night, dear." Tatiana left the bathroom.

"Good night."

*****
Once the early sun's rays entered Soni's east windows, she opened her eyes. This feels good. I'll lie here just a few more minutes. Goliath laid his head beside his master. As Soni petted his head, she fell back to sleep.

The next sound Soni heard was Alex's booming voice, "Kuruk, Soni isn't up yet. That trip must've really worn her out."

Soni jumped out of bed. "Grandfather, I'm getting dressed. I'll be right there." She glanced at the clock. It's 7:15. What's he doing here so early? Something must be wrong.

Moments later, Soni opened her door and gave her grandfather a hug. "It's nice to see you."

"I thought you might sleep all day," teased Alex.

"I might have if you hadn't had a yelling contest outside my door." Soni grinned. "Tatiana, I'm starved. Is breakfast ready?"

Tatiana set a basket of warm biscuits on the table. "Give me about three more minutes."

Soni took Grandfather's arm in her right one and Alex's in her left arm. "Gentlemen, let's have a seat. Breakfast will be served shortly."

After the three were seated and Tatiana finished setting out the food, Kuruk offered a prayer.

Just as the last coffee cup was filled, Jim joined them. "I heard a rumor that breakfast was being served."

"Have a seat." Alex scanned the table before he reached for the eggs. " It looks like we have eggs, hash browns, bacon, sausage, biscuits, and fresh fruit."

"The hash browns have onion and peppers in them. Just like I like them. Tatiana, you outdid yourself, again." Kuruk scooped a healthy portion of potatoes onto his plate.

Soni watched Jim survey the table. "What are we missing?"

"I would've sworn I smelled some cinnamon coffee cake." Jim sniffed the air and then took a few slices of bacon and some sausage.

Tatiana jumped up and hurried into the kitchen. "I almost forgot." Moments later, she returned. "Not coffee cake, but Soni's favorite, cinnamon rolls."

"Thank you." Soni patted Tatiana's hand as she set the plate on the table.

Alex's eyes met Soni's. "Jim told us last night about the young mother you rescued."

"I'm sure he told you everything. I'm going to the hospital this afternoon." Soni hesitated before she continued, "What did Robert Hughes want?"

"He wanted you. Somehow he discovered you'd left the ranch." Alex buttered two biscuits. "Please pass the sorghum."

Soni handed it to him. "I didn't really leave. I took a detour. It's not like I escaped to France."

"Why France? You don't speak French," asked Alex.

"I've heard it's beautiful this time of year." Tatiana sipped her coffee.

"The French Government stumbles when it comes to extraditing people back to the US," offered Jim.

"Why would you know that?" Soni's eyes met Jim's and then she turned to Alex. "Did he mention my drug test results?"

"No." Alex took a bite of biscuit.

"After he left here, he came to visit me." Kuruk took a long drink of coffee. "He wanted to know where to find you. I told him I didn't know. He accused me of lying."

Kuruk set the coffee cup down and waited for Tatiana to refill it before he continued, "I accused him of manufacturing charges against you. When he said he had probable cause for all his investigations, I asked about the drug test. He told me it had disappeared. I mentioned how convenient that was. Now you wouldn't be found innocent."

"Samples just don't go missing." Jim set his fork down. "That doesn't happen. There's a chain of custody."

"That's exactly what he said. He figured Soni stole the samples and disappeared so he couldn't get new samples." Kuruk placed his hand over his granddaughter's. "Don't worry. We will get this settled."

"It's ridiculous. I can't believe it's happening." Soni watched Butkus, Goliath, Mack, and Diego stand and stalk to the front door. "What's wrong, boys?"

The hair on the dogs' back bristled as a thump was heard on the door, and then a voice, "This is Homeland Security. We're Federal Agents. We have the house surrounded. Slowly open the door and come out with your hands up."

"What the shit!" Jim threw his napkin on his plate. "This is harassment!"





Recognized


Thank you google images for an example of the government homeland security agency. I'm sorry but I had to have a little fun with it. The stinker in my came out. Now I know where my boys inherited it from. I really appreciate the reviews and assistance you give me. If you have not read from the beginning, you WILL be confused. I don't redefine each character in every post.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.