General Poetry posted March 12, 2015 Chapters:  ...206 207 -208- 209... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Sapphic Stanza.

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Butterfly, Bird, Coyote

by Treischel



Beauty floats on butterfly wings that flutter,
drifting gently, ever so graceful, touching
down to drink the life-giving nectar.
Suddenly Swallowed.

Cowbird, searching sustenance, captures monarch.
Morning meal of butterfly slackens hunger.
Early bird contented with earthy forage.
Watched by coyote.

Sly coyote pounces on unsuspecting
Cowbird, while it's pecking for worms in fertile
ground. Coyote, triumphant, howls out loudly.
Singing its pleasure.

All life shares precarious hold of balance.
Nature carries lessons of fatal moments.
Victims may be predators out completing
natures life cycles.




Just contemplating natures life cycle of the food chain. One moment there is peace and tranquility. Then it may be interrupted by sudden violence. You never know.

The bird in this picture is an interesting fellow. It is a Cowbird. From a distance it looks like a common crow, but is distinguishable by its brown feathered head. It is considered a parasitic species. It eats insects stirred up by herds of large animals when they migrate or forage, such as cows or bison. Since it must follow the herds, it doesn't have time to lay its eggs and incubate them. So, it lays its eggs in another bird's nest, to let the unsuspecting mother raise the Cowbird young along with her own. It's definately not into parenting. It only cares about selfishly feeding and breeding itself. I guess that's why I chose it to be eaten in this poem.

This poem is written in Sapphic Stanzas.
The Sapphic Verse dates back to ancient Greece and is named for the poet Sappho. Sapphics are made up of four-line stanzas with three long lines, frequently of 11 syllables, followed by a short line of typically 5 syllables. The main building blocks of the sapphic are trochees and dactyls. The trochee is a metrical foot with one stressed syllable followed by an unstressed one, while the dactyl contains a stressed syllable followed by two unstressed ones. The first three lines of the sapphic contain two trochees, a dactyl, and then two more trochees (making 11 syllables). The shorter fourth, and final, line of the stanza is called an "Adonic" and is composed of one dactyl followed by a trochee (making 5 syllables). However, there is some flexibility with the form as when two stressed syllables replace both the second and last foot of each line. Any number of stanzas can be written. The lines are unrhymed.

I must admit that I find long poems without rhyme less satisfying to me, and harder to write, because I naturally tend to rhyme. However, that is the requirement for this format. The form does lend itself well to story telling. I hope you like this one.

This photograph was taken by the author in July, 2014, at a park along the Mississippi in South St. Paul.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.