General Poetry posted February 7, 2015 Chapters:  ...44 45 -46- 47... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A free verse epiphany

A chapter in the book From out of the Grayness

I was a Leaf

by His Grayness

I WAS A LEAF: An epiphany by: 'His Grayness"
I was a leaf
Proud green and significant
Well connected as well...I might say
And with a premium view from high places
I held down an end-of- limb position on a big limb, right on top
Morning sun, midday shade, afternoon breezes, sunrise mist....nothin' but the best
I did grow BIG you know, the broad leaf of persuasion of course
Strong genes made for shade
We came from good stock
Strong roots and fiber
We knew how to stand our ground damn near forever
Good bark and Girth...really important stuff for BIG leaf
Then there were the birds...and the bugs... of course
All part of life
And we gave them their needs
They flew off and they crawled off...a lot of them even fell off .... of course
Entertaining but meaningless to be sure...except for the bouncing down below
That always brought some good laughs
We leaves did laugh at them often, but it's really not nice...not a pretty sight!!
But even leafs have gotta have some fun sometimes
When the birds got them first, it was really a circus
But I was never much for bloodshed....on my own skin anyway!!
Oh..... but leaf life was sometimes not a total joy!
Then I remember when it happened one day..... Back when I was just hanging out on a little twig
The big D word...made its way into my life and I learned I was born "Deciduous" which in people talk means....I "WAS A LEAF!!!
The story was in September.... Things would start getting rough..... Sap would be heading south now and I might start to lose my grip on things...Hell, by October, I could be out of a job.
They say the wind can take us big guys a long way from home and we might not get to see the new springtime sprouts from so far away.
I was afraid to dry up and fall off.....
To be drowned in the mud with no vision left in my life. To be brittle and broken with no connections and no significance left in my being.
Then it happened! AUTUMN: Dark skies, cold wind, the dead silence when the birds and the bugs left us, and then ...It was almost like they knew it would be bad and they just didn't want to be there when it happened!
The sap exits the top first and we heavyweights need more grip then...holding against the brisk dry wind. The thought of any shade goes away soon and they are replaced with thoughts of flying with no lessons, no instructors and inevitable hard landings somewhere strange and far away.
By now you are probably wondering if leaves can have real fear. Well for me, not really, till I bounced off my first rock. Moreover...why would a leaf know fear....after all what's to become of us. Must seem reasonable enough to someone smart enough to read this.... I needed my life to have a purpose quick!
You see, I borrowed a soul...for just a little while from a human that could write this all down for me. He was praying under MY TREE and the vibrations of his voice made sense to me! I was aglow, like becoming the energy of an atom and catching his spirit. His seasons were changing, His past was upon him, and He was heavy with fear.
I only knew two sensations; Vibrations that made me expand and reach for sun and low thunder that made me shrink: He was confusing me ...first with a mourning kind of self-pity, followed by an energetic plea, almost coming to bright hope and self-understanding. I shifted and twisted against the vibrations.
I knew my place you see? (being A Big Leaf of course),. But still... only a leaf...not a huge carbon machine with such power and energy as him....But somehow, I knew this was all happening for a reason and I meant to find a way to understand it. So I squeezed myself....all that I was and turned myself into INK and fell upon him:
Ink cuts the river of unserved passion, through the mountains of contemplation and determination to carry the nutrients of creation and persuade millions of possibilities to join in celebration of creation.
My will creates storms of determination so it's lightening and fury can melt the rocks of fear into valleys of ambitions and turn the Grace of God Aglow. I was just a leaf but ALSO a living power of God and I was powerful enough to connect him...and all was well.....so I threw in a little side prayer for myself and asked God to help him write this all down.....just for you!!! ......Come visit me anytime!! I AM A JUST LEAF.....But GOD'S LEAF INDEED !!!



Poem of the Month contest entry

Recognized


God's energy is all around us and Knowing that brings Hope and Gratitude which both open the mind to creativity. I'm so grateful for the boundless energy that all writers on Fanstory are willing to share!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. His Grayness All rights reserved.
His Grayness has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.