Commentary and Philosophy Non-Fiction posted January 1, 2015


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Happy New Year everyone

Resolution Success

by Spiritual Echo

I didn't break a single resolution in 2014--not one. It's a great feeling, basking in my success, lauding it over the people who crumpled just a few days into the New Year.

With clarity, I can remember the feeling of failure, the self-loathing I experienced in the past. Some of those resolutions cost me big bucks. I can't even remember how many expensive gym memberships I bought, but I'd need both hands to count and a calculator to add up the cost. I paid the money--why didn't I lose weight? Oh, that's right; a member has to use the equipment, actually show up.

I do recall actually walking into some of those sweat shops, the communal showers where I couldn't help but look--even if they were women--they were naked, for God's sake.

The year I decided to join the temperance movement and give up alcohol was a big one on my agenda. I took umbrage at my acquaintances pointing at my empty wine bottles. "It's not the same," I protested.

My filthy smoking habit? Well, I accept that I'm a social leper, but I never made smoking a resolution. At any rate, I pay big sin taxes and I console myself with the truth--I'm filling government coffers. Setting a date for smoking cessation is a great idea, but combining a resolution like that with a night of booze--well that just won't cut it.

In 1842 or was it 1999--never mind, the year, decade or century are not pivotal to the story--I swore I would use language effectively, and stop the profanity that spilled from my lips. Knowing that incentive and consequences are strong motivational tools, I made my swear jar visible and promised dutifully to put in the required toll should I err.

My self-control was admirable. I impressed myself. That resolution got flushed in the third week of January. Someone rear-ended my car making an illegal lane change--if there is such a thing in Toronto. I muttered obscenities under my breath as we exchanged insurance information. Not two hours later, a huge order, still sitting on the loading dock was cancelled. I was a mite more verbal over that one. By the time I got home, I was a f***ing wreck, and it didn't help that my teenage son wanted money and car keys as I walked through the door. I threw twenty dollars into the swear jar and let it rip.

After a lifetime of resolutions and the subsequent failures that did nothing for my self-esteem, I decided that I was an imperfect human being. There was no reason to remind myself of that sad fact.

Like most people, I take pleasure in my accomplishments. To boast that I survived 2014 without breaking resolutions is a humbling moment. But then again, last year I made not a single resolution. I'm feeling very smug about my success.




Recognized


I know at least one person who thinks this smiling wart hog is a selfie of me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Spiritual Echo All rights reserved.
Spiritual Echo has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.