General Fiction posted December 7, 2014 Chapters:  ...22 23 -24- 25... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
General William Thomas takes control of the investigation

A chapter in the book Framed

The General Takes Control

by bob cullen



Background
Calin Roberts is an operative with Homeland Security. While his name appears on no official documentation, his reputation is known and feared throughout the corridors of Washington

An hour later the General and Arthur were airborne. The helicopter pilot charted a north westerly course. They set down on a Military airfield: a car awaited them.

The base was small, the weather cold and a fine cover of snow had settled on the ground. The driver dropped them outside the Commander's office. Once inside the door, the General assumed control. Everyone snapped to attention.

"At ease, gentlemen," he said on saluting. The tension remained. Something was wrong. The Base Commander's absence was noted. "Where's the prisoner?"

Silence.

"She's dead." The senior ranking officer replied. The man wore a Captain's uniform.

"Where's Commander Rodwell?"

"He's also dead."

"Start talking, Captain." The General's face was livid with rage, his worst fears confirmed. This situation was now beyond Military involvement. Someone far higher on the chain of command, in all probability one of his own Pentagon superiors, was now in control. Calin Roberts, in the form of Tyler Spellman, had panicked everyone.

"Commander Rodwell received a phone call around forty minutes ago," said the Captain. "It was from his wife and she appeared to be very distressed. The call lasted no more than a minute. I then watched as he stormed over to the cell where prisoner Bryant was held.

"Personally I didn't see anymore. However I'll quote the eyewitness account provided by Corporal Lance, the prison duty officer at the time. He told how the Commander charged in and ordered him to stand back as he had some important questions for the prisoner. The Corporal obeyed and moved as far away as he could ensuring he had vision of whatever was about to occur. The prisoner was his responsibility. At the same time, the Commander was his superior.

"Next he said the Commander called the prisoner close to ensure their conversation could remain confidential. He then reached through the bars and grabbed prisoner Bryant by the collar and held her tight. With his other hand, he drew his revolver and placed it on her forehead. In a matter of two seconds the prisoner was dead. As Corporal Lance ran towards the prison cell, the Commander turned the gun on himself."

"Where is Corporal Lance now?" demanded the General.

"He's very traumatized and undergoing counselling."

"Get him here."

"Sir," the Captain answered. "I'm advised he's been sedated."

"Did he hear anything the Commander asked?"

"No sir."

"Has the Commander's wife been informed?"

"The phone's not answering."

"Have the police been contacted?"

"Yes sir. The tragedy has claimed another victim. Police found Mrs Rodwell dead in her lounge room."

"No sign of anyone else?"

"I don't know. The police officer I spoke to was particularly abrupt, offering no detail other than suggesting investigations are underway. I was told we'll be informed on any matter pertaining to Military procedure.

"The detective concluded by stating, and I'll quote as accurately as I can. 'As the crime took place on non-military property it is now a civilian investigation. I'd appreciate you passing that on to your superiors.'"

"We'll see about that," said the General. "I don't suppose you have his name?"

"Detective Kennedy Lyons."

"Get him back on the line."

"Sir."

"Now." The General's barked reply allowed the young soldier no explanation.


Arthur watched in silence. Everything he witnessed confirmed his suspicions. Someone in a position of extreme power was pulling the strings. The General was a mere puppet, the stage actor responding to the directions of the off-stage director. The General reached for his phone. The conversation was brief, more listening than talking. His head nodded; an indication of understanding and acceptance.

Few things irritated the General more than the posturing and politicking employed by the various policing bodies demanding command. Ego was such a divisive and counter-productive waste of energy. It created tension, aggression and distrust, which in turn gave rise to gossip and rumour.

The General knew the solution. He had been told what to do. He would assume control. Absolute secrecy was essential. It would become a military operation. His team would take possession of, and secure all gathered and available evidence prior to dismissing every local police officer who had attended the scene.

There were times however, when circumstances demanded a dictatorial response. Local police had no role in a situation that involved Calin Roberts, nor for that matter did the FBI. Calin Roberts was a law unto himself, and out of control, a flawed creation in a flawed environment. And that environment had to be protected.

It was time to put Detective Kennedy Lyons in his place. He listened as the Corporal made the connection.

"Detective Lyons, its Corporal Parker," he said. "I have General William Thomas from the Pentagon here. He would like to discuss this matter with you." The response didn't disappoint.

"Nothing's changed." The call disconnected, the respondent had no interest in conversation.

"Get the detective back." Annoyance was obvious.

"If you value your career, Lyons, you'll listen to me. My next call will be to your Chief."

"He's right here, I'll put him on." The voice shocked the General, as did the attitude. Detective Lyons was female and judging from her reply, a woman accustomed to crime scene control.

"Fraser Paull." The tone was abrupt. It further fired up the anger in the General.

"I'm not into making threats, Officer Paull, but I'd suggest you listen to what I say and then consider the situation fully.

"Let me assure you, the circumstances surrounding the murder of Mrs Rodwell has implications far beyond your imagination and does in fact intrude on matters of national security. Details of these circumstances cannot be discussed over the phone. Suffice to say, her husband, Commander Rodwell is also dead, shot at close range on a military installation less than one hour ago shortly after taking a call from his wife. That death, along with another, only minutes earlier, is also under investigation." The General saw no need to mention suicide.

"I understand your situation, Fraser." He hoped a more personal approach might attract a degree of support.

"Give me a name," said Paull. The police officer's attitude concerned the General. The man was not in the least swayed by the General's demand. "Someone in Washington who will verify the situation, and then adjudicate on who does in fact, have investigative and jurisdictional authority in this instance."

"You're making this difficult on yourself, Paull, but I'll comply with your request. You'll have your confirmation, along with a request for the secondment of Detective Lyons, within three minutes I would expect." On this occasion, the General severed the connection.






Calin and Jess will return shortly
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. bob cullen All rights reserved.
bob cullen has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.