Supernatural Fiction posted December 4, 2014 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Berwick Witches Series: Book One

A chapter in the book Dark Covenant

The Awakening

by amahra




Background
New Berwick, Illinois--a mystic place where witches rule under the watchful eyes of the Dominions.
(Highlights of last chapter:)
The tension between River and Dex have finally ceased in the wake of Jewel's discovery of a spell that will stop the pack from turning every full moon.



The bright yellow light flashed, and Bob Wilson slowly eased his foot down on the brake bringing the black Jeep Renegade to a complete stop as the light flicked red.  He ran his tongue nervously over his bottom lip and rehearsed in his mind the disturbing report he was to tell Sheriff Wayne Tilbert;  something he should have told him a couple a years ago, but just needed more medical proof.

Bob was divorced and had an ex-wife and two adult daughters living in Boston. He and his ex still loved each other, but had just grown apart. He had been the coroner of Sheerfield City for over ten years and had seen his share of mysterious deaths. After years of fact-finding, only he and the victims knew the darkness of its truth.

Bob pulled up to the sheriff’s station and found that the only parking spaces left were reserved for personnel. He parked two blocks up and made a short walk of the distance with his long strides, thanks to his six-foot-three frame. Seeing unsuspecting Sheerfield City folks driving about and walking to and fro made him even more anxious about his report.  Eighty-two-year-old Mrs. Paddington could still walk her dog at her age.

“Good morning, Bob,” she said in her scratchy voice, “lovely day isn't it?” She stopped and cracked a yellowish smile—letting her little mutt shit on the sidewalk.

“Good morning, Mrs. Paddington, yes it is.”

She bent over wide-legged and scooped it up in a small plastic bag. “Bye now.”

“Goodbye, Mrs. Paddington.”  

Bob passed an officer coming out of the building. He stepped into the bustling atmosphere and gazed about looking for Wayne. A loud scuffle erupted in a far corner. A staggering drunk had taken a swing at a female deputy, and she, along with two male officers was all over the guy.

“Hey, Bob, I’ll be right with you,” Wayne's voice rose from across the room. He pointed his finger and Bob nodded that he understood. Bob walked into Wayne's office, took a seat on the guest side of his desk and waited for him to finish up a meeting with several of his deputies.

After about twenty minutes, Wayne walked in and greeted Bob with a handshake.

“Sorry about that, Bob,” Wayne said, walking around and taking a seat behind his desk. “I know I said I’d be free around this time. But ever since the death of the Winters girl, these phones have been ringing like mad. People are starting to get paranoid.”

Bob wormed around in his seat—wanting him to shut up so he could tell him of his findings, but Wayne rambled on...

“Nobody wants to believe it was an animal," Wayne said, "people got their own theories, you know.  They call up here swearing they saw wolves walking on hind legs, red eyeballs staring through their windows, witches flying around.” Wayne chuckled.

Bob faked a grin and Wayne went right on...

“I’m telling you, they’ve got my deputies hopping like little bunny rabbits. I’ve never seen the town like this before. Oh, but listen to me going on and on. So, what exactly brings you here today, Bob?”

“Werewolf.”

Wayne jumped slightly in his seat. “What did you say?”

“You heard me. Werewolf.”

“Are you kidding me? Have you gone mad too?”

“I’m sorry, Wayne. But the people here in Sheerfield should be jumpy. Oh, I’m not saying they’re really seeing those ridiculous things. But they sense something. And their senses are not wrong.”

“Bob, I don’t need this shit from you…not from you.”
 
“I’m telling you no animal killed that girl.”

“Keep your voice down,” Wayne said, sharply. He jumped up, walked briskly over to the door and closed it. “Why are you doing this to me?” Wayne dragged back behind his desk and eased down in the chair.
 
“What killed Tiara Winters was neither animal nor human.”

Wayne shook his head. “If this was coming from anyone but you, I’d toss you out of here on your ass. You’re a man of science. You can’t believe this. What’s happened to you…you been working too hard?”

“Oh, cut the bull-shit, Wayne. You know as well as I do what’s been living around us your whole life. But, you’re correct; I am a man of science. And one thing that’s certain in your profession and mind--is to recognize a pattern before drawing a conclusion. Am I right?”

“I’m listening?”

“When I examined Tiara Winters, it wasn’t the first time I’d seen such evidence. Remember the two tourists who were found ripped apart three summers ago?  Remember just recently, farm animals that were reported missing and the uneaten parts that were found?”

“Yes…and…”

“It was said they were attacked by an animal then too. I examined the bodies, what was left of them—each time, the same results…not animal, not human.”

“But you confirmed each time that it was an animal.”  He pointed a finger at his filing cabinet. "I have your reports right there!”

“Lies!”

“What?”

“Lies. Because I didn’t want to start a panic and have those demon killers or whatever they're called to start a war with our neighbors. I had to be sure…now, I am.”

“This is absurd. I’m not listening to this.” He ran his hands over the numerous papers and files on his desk. “You see all this work I've got?”

Bob just stared at him.  

Wayne fell back in his chair. “They’re called Grigorians. They hunt all things evil," he said in a low, soft voice. "Yeah, I remember. People started a rumor that werewolves had killed the tourists and there was talk of hiring the hunters to come and clean out the region where they were attacked.”

“Wayne, you and this whole town have lived in denial for years. As hard as you’re pretending, you know I’m right…don’t you?”

Wayne put his elbows on his desk and rubbed his fists back and forth under his chin. Then he placed both palms on the desk and sat straight up in his chair. “Are you certain of this…I mean really certain?”

“I’m positive.”

Wayne sighed. “I heard rumors for years; everything in me doesn’t want to believe it. If it's true, how the hell are we supposed to fight this thing? Is it one, two…a herd?"

"It's called a pack."

"And what happens if the people get wind that their sheriff even half believes this. What am I going to tell my deputies? They’ll think I’m a lunatic.”

“Then, we won’t tell them. We’ll go and find these so-called hunters and let them destroy the monsters. Have the Grigorians bring one back as a souvenir. They'll believe us then. ”

 “But, I don’t know who they are, or where to find them.”

“I’ll help you.” Bob reached across the desk and touched Wayne’s hand. “I see you’ve awakened to this, Wayne.  You do believe me.  Don’t you?”

“If you're right about this. I pray to God I fall asleep and never wake up.

***




 



Recognized


New Berwick, Illinois is comprised of four regions: Falcon Haven, Northern and Southern Greyscott Falls, Sheerfield City and Ironforge.

Main Characters

Northern Greyscott Falls:

River Porter....... Main Character
Jewel Porter....... River's wife
Their daughters....Chelsea, Abby, Dria, and Becca

Southern Greyscott Falls:

Dex Porter.........River's brother
Matthew (Matt) Porter... Dex's son
Jan Porter ....Dex's wife and Jewel's cousin/sister-in-law


Falcon Haven:

Beatrice ....... Jewel's best friend
Kayla Morrison.. Beatrice's granddaughter

Sheerfield City:

Wayne Tilbert....... Sheriff of Sheerfield City
Rose Tilbert....... Wayne's wife
Veronica (Ronnie) Tilbert...Wayne daughter/Kayla's BFF
Christopher (Chris) Tilbert.........Wayne and Rose's son
Christa......................Veronica and Kayla's BFF
Bob Wilson..................Sheerfield City Coroner

Ironforge:

Corina Brewer...............Sorcerer
Hollie Brewer...............Corina's sister/Sorcerer
Gunner Lenox................Sorcerer
Amber Moore.................Sorcerer

Supporting Cast

New Berwick residents


Art Work: Her Eyes by Diane Azdamar at dianae.cgsociety.org
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. amahra All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
amahra has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.