General Fiction posted November 10, 2014 Chapters:  ...41 42 -43- 44... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Valerius discovers previous injuries, Cicero arrives.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

More Injuries and a Visitor

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates live various lifetimes. In spite of often impossible circumstances they attempt to connect with each other
Previously, Father Cicero from a neighboring village visited the parish searching for Winslow, who has stoped at the home of Abramus seeking refuge and the services of Valerius. Leopold listens with great interest as this Father Cicero explains that the family left due to the treatment for possesion of Winslow's son. In the meantime Grenadier had a seizure and was treated by Valerius at the home of Abramus. Cicero had need of a phsician in his village for an old priest and decided to seek out Valerius while searching for the missing family. We continue now as the young boy is tended to by Valerius as Trellitia looks on.






Trellitia joined Valerius as he tended to the young boy. She mostly observed, nodding her approval, making expressions that ranged from worry to curiosity. The conversation between them had little meaning for anyone but them for the most part.
 
Trellitia smiled. "Yes, grind the root very fine. Yes, perfect … not too hot. Apply to your wrist first."
 
Valerius listened with interest as he intently went about his tasks. "No, don't let him up yet, he's fine right there. More pillows." He made his request to no one in particular. Nonetheless, the pillows appeared and Lourdes took them and arranged them to the young boys comfort.
 
Grenadier's eyes seemed to roam the room without fixating, and his responses to inquiries were not clear.
 
"This is not the most agreeable of drinks, Grenadier, but it will calm your body. Please try and drink some slowly." He placed the cup to Grenadier's lips, tilted slightly, and let the boy drink at his own pace. Grenadier did not seem to mind the taste. "He's doing quite well. This is the norm?" He addressed Winslow.
 
Winslow deferred to Adeline, his wife, who answered, "Yes, though we have no potions to aid him. We make him comfortable and try to make him rest. But, he is a boy and given to the ways of a boy. He does not tolerate too much of a mother's embrace."
 
As though her words were permission, Grenadier broke swiftly from the arms of Lourdes and jumped to his feet. "I'm all right. It's something that comes to me and then goes. I don't know why. The priest says that I am the child of the devil. He's frightening and hurts me. I think he's the devil." He showed Valerius his left arm.
 
Valerius swelled with outrage. He addressed Winslow, "Are you aware of this. This appears to be inflicted by bondage--chains no doubt. The bruising is deep and recent. Let me see more closely, my friend. I won't harm you." He prodded gently and noted the boy recoiled to the touch near the wrist. "I suspect there may be a break near the wrist. Lourdes?"
 
Lourdes had already pulled binding cloth from his bag and had it at the ready.
 
Valerius smiled as he took it and began to wrap the wrist. "He is an active young man, of course, but if you could attempt to restrict his use of this hand it would aid its healing. I see he favors his left hand. This might be an opportunity to strengthen his right. The priests find it some kind of sign when a person favors their left hand. Silly, but there you are. A suggestion only, I find the notion absurd."
 
"A priest approaches." Julia looked through a window in the kitchen. "I'm not familiar with him." She motioned her father to her side. "Do you know him, Father?"
 
Abramus went with haste to the window and considered the priest that approached slowly. He considered the soldiers on the roadside who awaited on horseback while holding an empty stead. "Everyone. I don't care for the look of this one bit. Be silent, I will go to greet him. Winslow." He nodded to his guest. "Is this the priest from your village?"
 
Winslow stepped back from the window. "Indeed it is. But what … looking for us I imagine. My apologies…."
 
"Nonsense! Now you seclude yourself in my chambers quietly. I don't plan to have him in, but just in case, remain still. He can't be sure you are here. No one is aware, am I correct?"
 
Winslow nodded in the affirmative as he spoke, "We have taken to traveling in the evening to avoid detection. Come now, quickly, everyone. To the chambers quietly."
 
Abramus walked casually through his front door and down the wooden steps to greet the stranger. "Hello, Father, I am Abramus. I don't believe I have had the pleasure." He extended his hand.
 
His greeting was received in kind. "I am Father Cicero. I come on two matters. I search for four of my parishioners who have fled my parish. I don't expect you have seen them, A family, man, woman, daughter and son … missing for several days now. The boy is quite ill."
 
"No, I'm afraid not. We are remote here. Perhaps you might inquire in town or at our Parish if they sought aid." Abramus smiled.
 
"I thought not. I have been to the Parish. There I learned of your young Doctor Valerius. We are without a physician in our village. I sought to meet him and learned that he might be paying a visit here. I am concerned for one of the elder priests in our parish. I plan to play on the sympathies of the young Doctor. Do you think he might be vulnerable to such a shameless approach?" Cicero smiled warmly.
 
"Kindness is not a stranger to him, I can tell you that. He is just about to take leave. I would invite you in, but there is a small fever in my home and I wouldn't want to risk your health. The doctor assures me it is nothing if you wish to…."
 
"No, if he is taking leave, I will wait for him to depart then. I seem to have come at a perfect time."
 
"May I ask why you come with soldiers? It is not common to see them in our village."
 
"A silly precaution that I do not approve of. Protection on the road they say. Foolishness. I do hope that we might share more time together when next we meet." Cicero extended his hand. "Now, don't warn the doctor now. I want to launch my attack with surprise!"
 
Abramus managed to smile and chuckle with some genuineness. "Indeed I will conspire with you to that end."
 
Abramus returned to his home and entered. Anxious faces greeted him.
 
Cassius spoke for them, "Well?"
 
Abramus took a deep breath and spoke, "He does seek our guests, but he is not aware that they are here. He also seeks you, Valerius. He has need of a physician at his parish. I had to think fast. I told him you were about to take leave. He plans to prey upon your good nature to minister to his fellow priest in his village. I could think of no other way to keep from extending him an invitation. I told him there was a fever in my home. The lies are enough to give me a fever. I can scarce remember the order of them. In any case, it is best you take leave now." Abramus looked to be relieved when finished with his explanation.
 
Valerius looked at Lourdes. "I would like you to come with me. You are an excellent assistant. I would think your daughter safe here with Abramus and Julia, if that were to meet with their acceptance." He looked to Abramus who nodded.
 
Valerius looked to Julia who spoke, "I will manage to cling to my mind anticipating your return." She looked at him and made no attempt to hide her affection. It caused him to blush in spite of his best efforts. All there pretended not to notice.
 
Cassius stepped forward. "Not to worry, my friend. Father and I shall keep everyone safe. Besides, all here know who the teacher is. I expect we will do fine without the student for a few short days." Cassius bowed respectfully to Trellitia who seemed genuinely touched by his gesture.
 
With that, Valerius and Lourdes were out the door to greet Father Cicero.
 
Valerius extended his hand, "I understand you are in need of a physician." I am in need of answers. Are you the man that binds and beats a child? I have a purpose to my journey as well.
 
"I am Father Cicero. Yes, we rarely see a physician; the great city is such a struggle for our older parishioners. We rely on the Lord and his kindness. We would be grateful for one of his sons blessed with the healing knowledge to tend to our beloved friend at the parish. Father David seems not himself more often than not. We can provide some compensation though our coffers are not over flowing." He seemed to be genuine in his concern.
 
"I will see to him. There are things that are beyond the physicians skills. But if I am able to help your friend, I certainly will. Let's hope the soldiers don't provide additional patients for me on the road to your village." Valerius smiled and noted that Cicero found Lourdes attractive. Yes, old man, I see your eyes move. They are not as quick as you suspect. No harm, I suppose, but noted.



 



Recognized


Wonderful feedback. I listen to every word and take it to heart. I often get excellent ideas from your thoughts and comments. The encouragement has been so appreciated. I apologize for my terrible record in responding to reviews. I'm buried and try to keep up with reviews first. I swear I read every word and appreciate your input more than you could possibly know. Thank you so very much.


List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.

Bishop Julius Brosius- A Bishop in the hiearchy of the church.

Father Cervantes- a young priest that Leopold has taken under his wing.

Winslow-husband/Adeline-wife/Noreen-daughter/Grenadier-disturbed son-- a family cast out of a nearby village when their son was accused of demon possession. The family fled to save their son's life. New patient for Valerius.

Father Cicero-A priest from a nearby village that had been performing prayer and other rites on Grenadier to drive out the demon he believes the child has inside him. He is searching for Winslow and his family.



The story takes place after 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her. Other patients come to Valerius and they are in danger as well.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.