Biographical Non-Fiction posted November 8, 2014


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Stories of our firast 5 years of marriage.

First 5 Years Of Marriage

by patcelaw














Some rose and thorn experiences in these years.

First 5 Years Of Marriage

Six weeks into our marriage, I accepted the Lord as my Savior. This was a big rose in my garden and served me well as I was to go through some thorn experiences and God was always faithful to lift me up.

Wayne and I were 13 years apart in age and after we married we wanted children right away. However, Wayne needed surgery to correct a problem and then I miscarried 3 times in the first year. When I finally got pregnant with our oldest daughter, I was able to carry her without a problem. When she was born the doctor surmised I had been pregnant with twins, but the second twin never developed, but I did have 2 bags of waters.

When I was 8 months into the pregnancy my grandmother died in Missouri and I wanted to attend her funeral, but my doctor would only let me do so if we flew from California to Missouri and back. We did and it was a hard trip on me. When we boarded the flight in Kansas City Missouri, the flight attendants took one look at me and had me seated until the flight had taken off and I could be moved. They had me sit in the rear of the plane, put my feet up and pampered me. They sure didn't want a baby born on their flight. The pilot radioed ahead to have a wheelchair waiting for me in Los Angeles, California.

On Christmas Eve I went into labor, but labor stopped and I was sent home. The next morning labor began again and off to the hospital we went. The doctor came in and broke the bag of waters and still after more time things were not progressing well. So the doctor wanted to induce labor. Before they could induce labor the doctor wanted to check me one more time and when he did he declared, "She has another bag of waters," so he broke the bag. Then Penny made a rather quick arrival into this world at 3:32 PM. She weighed in at 8 pounds, and was 21 1/4 inches long.

The doctor who delivered Penny had 3 patients who were expecting babies, but we were all due for delivery in January, yet one had her baby about 8 AM on Christmas day, I had Penny at 3:32 PM that afternoon and the other lady delivered that evening at about 8 PM.
The doctor complained saying, "you ladies did one job of messing up my Christmas day."

I said to him, "You don't suppose your name has anything to do with it do you?" His name was Dr. Klassen (pronounced like Claus.)

One day when Penny was about 10 days old I was bathing her and she got hold of her ample hair and was pulling it and crying for all she was worth. I had to squeeze her wrist hard enough to make her loosen her hand that weas holding and pulling her hair. That made her cry even more..

About this time the doorbell rang, I wrapped Penny in a towel and carried her on my shoulder as I answered the door. It was a sales person trying to sell me parents magazine. She saw Penny crying and said "the baby probably just needs to burp." About that time with me patting Penny on the back, she did burp. Of course she burped she had just cried so much and swallowed all that air. I told the sales person to leave, I didn't need her magazine to tell me how to care for my babies.

I spent my days caring for my precious little daughter and kept our home clean and comfortable for Wayne. Wayne and I both were rather doting parents. Penny was a very good baby and developed right on schedule.

Just after Penny turned 1, Wayne found a new job which located us in Northern California. Wayne went north and I stayed in the Los Angeles area to sell our home. It took about 2 months to sell the home before Penny and I could relocate to Northern California. During the two months when ever Penny and I would be out in public as I would push her in the stroller, she would not pay any attention to ladies as they passed. She did however pay attention as a man would pass, she would follow the men with her eyes and even turn to see them better as they passed. It was as if she was looking for her daddy.

Moving to our new home was exciting. About 4 months after the move, I became quite ill. I could not keep anything in my stomach, not even water and I lost 37 pounds in 13 days, I had to have exploratory surgery to find the problem. The problem was adhesions wrapped around my intestines.
After the surgery was done I gained back the weight I had lost and I once again felt good.

We lived in an apartment within walking distance to the beach. It was cold all the time we were there and in the year and a couple of months we were at this location, we could only go outside without a jacket or sweater 2 days.

Wayne lost his job two different times as he was working for airline companies.  First with TWA then for Western Airlines. After the second job fell through he got a job he liked but it did not meet our financial obligations, so we moved back to Southern California.

By this time I was expecting our second child Pamela. Wayne worked as a taxi driver, but again it didn't pay well. Wayne got quite ill with pneumonia He came very close to dying at that time, but God was good, and spared his life.

After Wayne got well and his strength was renewed he went back to work for Lockheed Aircraft in Burbank, California. This would be where he worked the rest of his working life.

In June of 1963 Pamela, our second daughter was born.

We moved from Los Angeles to Rosemead California where we lived for close to 1 year then we moved to another place in Rosemead.

In September of 1964, Patty our third daughter was born.
We stayed here until we bought a home in La Puente, California in the fall of 1965 and moved into the house on the last day of 1965. It was in this home that our children spent all of their school years.

After Patty was born, I was to have another thorn as I experienced pain so intense that I could only be on my feet for about 10 minutes at a time. It was very difficult to keep up with 3 children under 5 years of age and take care of my home. I did the best I could do.

I had family members who would visit and chastise me for not having my house spotless. That hurt and my pride was such that I refused to tell them what was happening to me. This condition was to last for two long years.

The rest of this story will come in the next chapter.

 




Here I was to have rose garden experiences and thorn experiences.
As we moved from, city to city we always found a church home, but were not as faithful to attend as we should have been.
The next chapter will take us through 1970.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. patcelaw All rights reserved.
patcelaw has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.