Biographical Non-Fiction posted October 30, 2014


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
This is the final chapter of this story.

Love Story Of Wayne and Pat Lawrence

by patcelaw

















Pat and I went to church on January 4, 1959, I went forward in the service and accepted Jesus as my Savior. Then on January 11, 1959 with my mother, father and grandmother present I was baptized. This was a blessing to my grandmother as she had prayed for years that I would be saved. So her prayers were answered.

Finally the big day arrived for our wedding. I went to church alone and my family followed shortly. The pastor, my brother and I met in a small room behind the altar until the ceremony began. When the music began we came into the church and took our places. As we turned to face the audience, we looked out to see, Bill my brother and Alta coming down the aisle followed by my beautiful bride, escorted by her uncle, Cecil Pugh. The ceremony lasted about fifteen minutes and we then went to the reception hall for the wedding reception. We stood in the reception line for about fifteen greeting our guests and thanking them for attending our wedding.

One interesting sidelight of our wedding was that our nine most honored guests were all in wheelchairs and were on the front row of the church. We did this in honor of how we had met through the Indoor Sports Club.

After the reception line was finished, we went to cut the cake. We both were in a playful mood and were not too neat about feeding cake to the other and we both had cake all over our faces. When we looked closely at the napkins we noticed that Aunt Thelma had seen to it that our names where imprinted on them. Neither of us knew this had been done, so it was a very reflective time at our wedding.

After this fun time, Pat and I went to our car to go to Aunt Thelma's. The car wouldn't start. After I did and investigation under the hood I found the wire to the ignition coil was missing. We didn't know who had the wire but it showed up and we were able to take off to the Pugh's home.

When we left the church we noticed there was someone following us and we decided to try to shake whoever it was. We took the poor guy for a ride for a while and then realized it was our photographer who wanted to follow us to the Pugh's home since he didn't know the way.

Pat took the time to change her clothes and we opened some presents and then we were ready to leave on our honeymoon. The guests had decorated our car and had put rocks in the hubcaps so when we stopped and started the car there was a lot of noise. We stopped on the way to Barstow, CA for dinner and arrived around 9 o'clock P.M. at the Hacienda Motel in Barstow for our first night. When we arrived at the motel the employees realized we were newlyweds with the noise from the rocks in the hubcaps.
The next morning we had breakfast and then drove to Las Vegas, Nevada. We stayed at the El Mirage motel on the strip in Las Vegas. There was a price war on motel rooms in Las Vegas at the time and we got our room for the sum of $5.00 a night. We paid for two nights and went sightseeing on the strip and to the downtown area. We gambled very little as Pat was not yet old enough to gamble and we didn't want anything to spoil our honeymoon.

On Wednesday morning we went to Lake Mead and got a room at the Lake Mead Lodge. We then went to Boulder Dam (Hoover Dam now) and took the tour through the dam site. We found the tour to be very interesting and were rather awed by the structure.

At the Lake Meade Lodge in late January, there were not many guests so the management put us in a room away from the other guests since we were newlyweds. We stayed for several days and did some sightseeing during those days.

One day we took a motor launch tour on the lake out to the dam. The tour guide pointed out the water lines on the sides of the hills telling where they had filled the lake to capacity to test the overflow drains for the dam. At one point we were in waters over 500 feet deep, which made Pat a little nervous as she could not swim at that time.

Another day we took a small motor boat out on the lake and through the canyon to another part of the lake. The water was very clear and we could see giant boulders several feet under water, but there was no danger of us hitting them. When through the canyon the other part of the lake had a breathtaking view. We brought the boat to the edge of the lake and onto a sand bar and got off the boat to rest our legs and to take a pit stop.

At this point we had to use our other tank of gas and so we headed back to the lodge side of the lake.

When we arrived back in the Southern California area, we rented a motel room for several weeks while we awaited the move into our home. When we finally got to move into our home we had our furniture delivered and got our wedding gifts which had been in safe keeping at the Pugh's home.

On our first Valentine day, Pat made heart shaped hamburgers for dinner. What a fun memory almost 35 years later.

Pat has often told me I am the wind beneath her wings. And she is my queen.

This is by no means the story of our life together; it is only a thumbnail sketch of our love and the first few months together.

Co-written by Wayne and Pat Lawrence, in 1994 a year before Wayne passed away. It was written from Wayne's point of view. He spent the last year of His life writing his life stories for his children. He then compiled them in a book and made a copy for each of his daughters for Christmas.



In His Time

God can take the most broken vessel
And repair it in His time.
When He has finished the work
The vessel will be as new.

God can take your broken life,
Filled with struggles so harsh,
And make you into one He can use
To show others the way to Him.

So never think your life is so broken,
That it is of no value,
For God in His kindness can make you,
Into a vessel of beauty once again.

-Patricia Lawrence

 
God made my vessel new on March 15,1959 the day He saved my soul.



11-1-14 9:15 PM
I just talked with a grandson who was named after Wayne and he is reading the book of Wayne's 19 stories and says he is having a hard time putting the book down.  I know Wayne  would be pleased.





 




I hope you have all enjoyed reading our love story. It is amazing to me the many things we had remembered after 35 years of marriage.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. patcelaw All rights reserved.
patcelaw has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.