Biographical Non-Fiction posted October 29, 2014


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Another chapter in our love story.

Wayne and Pat Lawrence Love Story

by patcelaw


 















Now we started to get serious about our wedding plans, the first detail was to set a date.  Pat wanted to wait until my birthday which was July Fourth.  I didn't want to wait that long and we discussed several more dates, finally deciding on January 25, 1959.
      We began to tell people when the big day would be and talked to the Pastor of First Southern Baptist Church of Duarte, California, where Pat was attending.  Pastor Malcom Long agreed to officate at a 2:00 P.M. wedding to be held at the church, with a reception to be held at the church immediately after the wedding in the church reception hall.  During the planning for the wedding I began to go to church with Pat.
     Pat wanted her brother Sam and Alta his wife to be in our wedding.  Sam as an usher and Alta as her matron of honor.  So on Thanksgiving Day 1959 we had Thanksgiving dinner with my parents and then drove to Burbank, California to fly to San Franscisco, to spend time with Sam and Alta.  We spent the weekend with Sam and Alta.  Pat and Alta went shopping for Pat's wedding dress.  We enjoyed the time very much with Sam and his family.  
      When we returned home Pat got the invitations for the wedding addressed and ready to send out, and her brother Jerry arranged time off from Navy duty to act as usher at our wedding.  Since Sam and Jerry were both in the Navy we asked them to wear their uniforms to the wedding.  I arranged with my brother the act as my best man and with this our wedding party was set.
     Another thing we did before the wedding was to purchase a house in Burbank, California which was within 5 miles of where I worked for Lockheed Aircraft.  We then went to a furniture store and purchased enough furniture to start housekeeping.  The furniture was to be delivered to our new home after we returned from our honeymoon and were to take possession of the house.
     What we did for Christmas that year neither of us can remember.  Now New Years' Eve and New Year's day was another story.  We spent part of New Year's Eve with the Pughs.  Then Pat and I went to a party at a neighbors house.  We had a couple of drinks and then set out for Pasadena, California and the Rose Parade route where we spent the night.  There were lots of people on the street staking out a spot to watch the parade.  Some of them built small fires to keep warm, while others had sleeping bags and blankets to stay warm.  It did get cold that night and we both stayed awake and walked a lot to stay warm.  This was the first Rose Parade for Pat, but I had seen several of them before as my Aunt Ruth and Uncle Orrick lived on the corner where the parade ended and we would view the parade from chairs on the back of their flat bed truck.  The parade was spectacular as usual.  After the parade we went to my parents home to watch the Rose Bowl game.  Since we were both so very tired we put pillows on the floor in front of the television and soon we were both fast asleep.  My mother was sitting in the chair in the living room when we laid down and was still there when we awoke.  So we slept together before we were married, but with supervision.







 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. patcelaw All rights reserved.
patcelaw has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.