General Fiction posted October 19, 2014 Chapters:  ...29 30 -31- 32... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Conversations are the order of the day.

A chapter in the book Vision and Sound: Their Stories

Wolves At Every Turn

by michaelcahill




Background
Two soul mates encounter each other on earth many times. They are unaware of their connection. In spite over impossible circumstances they are drawn to each other.
Previously, Cassius found Valerius outside of his father's house and informed him of Julia's condition. Valerius calmed him and introduced him to Lourdes and Florentina. They set off to assist Julia. On the road they encountered Leopold and Thurston who had been engaged in conversation relevant to Julia and her problems. Thurston proved to be an ally to Valerius. Just as they parted ways, Florentina screamed out having once again had a vision of wolves blocking their way. Valerius acted quickly to quell the fears of the little girl, but not before arrousing the suspicions of Leopold. We continue now as Leopold and Thurston have hurried back to check on the well being of Florentina.




~~~~~~~Speaking of wolves
 

"Sorry to startle you. A game is all. Wolves in the road. We had to scare them off and make the pathway safe for all travelers. Silly, I suppose. It was once a reality when she was very young, you see."
 
Leopold looked suspiciously at the little girl. "Do you see wolves in the road, little one?"
 
Lourdes scooped her up laughing. "Why, of course not. She sent them running into the woods! They won't dare show their heads around here again, will they darling?"
 
"No mother. I don't think they will." She giggled with delight as Lourdes tickled her.
 
Leopold wasn't quite satisfied with the answer, but there was nothing he could do to inquire further.
 
Thurston could sense the suspicion in his fellow priest's demeanor. "Well, what a fun game. And it appears a comfort to the girl as well. She suffered a trauma then when a little girl?"
 
Bless you, father. Valerius could see that Thurston understood the predicament and was playing into his hand. "Yes. As a child she had wandered from camp and been confronted by a wolf pack. A stroke of luck that hunters were nearby to scare them off. But it left its mark."
 
"Ah. So the reenactment with her taking charge helps her overcome the fear then?"
 
"Exactly. Very good, Father. You have some knowledge then of the healing arts."
 
"I knew Gregorio in the city. He spoke of Galen, Hippocrates and others. Very interesting."
 
"Yes, interesting indeed. There is merit at times to the medicine that man devises. But, of course, there is no medicine that compares to the healing power of the almighty." Leopold was not about to be silenced.
 
"Here, here. Indeed it is the force holding sway over all other forces. I'm sure our young doctor here would agree." Thurston once again formed a bridge for Valerius to cross.
 
"Amen, Father. I believe it is He who guides me. I have no knowledge he doesn't gift to me. Well, we will once again let you be on your way. And be assured there is not a wolf to be found that will trouble you." Valerius smiled and nodded knowingly to Thurston.
 
The two priests took their leave and continued on their way.
 

~~~~~~~~The priests converse
 

"A fine young man. A comfort to have a man of God to minister to our health, wouldn't you agree?" Thurston knew that Leopold would not be swayed from his suspicions, but shedding a good light on Valerius was a good thing in any case. Surely, you can see that this is a fine young man. Your thinking cannot be that clouded.
 
"Yes, his father has raised him well in the ways of the church. We must be steadfast with him, Thurston. These physicians tend to think in worldly terms and often become drunk with notions of their own abilities. Rastavius warned me of this. It is our charge and we must be diligent. It is the Lord who heals in his own wisdom, not a mere man." Do not be blinded yourself, my friend. The evil one greets even the wise with smiles and praises.
 
Not a chance you will listen to reason is there, my friend. Yes, steadfast indeed. There is blood in your eyes and you swipe at it with your hands. I fear you like the look of it. I must speak in private with Valerius. "Well said, my friend. I have every confidence in our young doctor. He shows deference to the child. That is from the heart. Our Lord spoke of the children often. Yes, diligence must be the watchword here, Leopold. There is no telling what influences from outside our village can come calling. It is up to us to stand vigil over our flock. You are most wise." And most lost to your own delusions. I appear to be on my own. Mine enemy sups at my table.

 
~~~~~~~~Valerius continues with the others onto the house of Abramus

 
Cassius seemed quite taken with Florentina. Perhaps she reminded him of his sister. Julia was given to outbursts of a similar nature when she was a child. He had an understanding of it in ways that the others might not. A mother has a view that is different from a playmate and sees things as a protector. There is an insight within her which is unique, but there is a common ground with playmates a parent doesn't trod.
 
"You sent those wolves on the run then, didn't you?" Cassius smiled broadly.
 
"Yes. When I saw how frightened they were, I knew they weren't so scary after all. They were terrified when I ran at them. Now they know what it is like!" Florentina smiled peacefully making it difficult to imagine she had recently screamed hysterically in fear.
 
While Cassius walked along with his new friend, Valerius motioned Lourdes to his side. "I could see you sensed the urgency of that meeting. You were correct in your perceptions. Leopold has been to the city and fallen prey to the teachings of Rastavius a preacher of hell fire and demons. I fear that Leopold had a ready ear for such things. He was already of a mind to lean in that direction. He is a danger to Julia who we will meet and I fear he might have an eye on your daughter as well."
 
"But, it is absurd. My daughter is not possessed of demons. She is upset by the travails of life, mostly, I fear, due to my own shortcomings on her behalf. I was too young and heavily fallen for her father. Then all at once, I was alone and young with no means. It is not her fault. She… "
 
"I understand fully. You are too hard on yourself. You have done beautifully for your daughter. She is filled with wonder for the world and a ready smile. She is a light to all she encounters, as are you. There is no need for apology. I seek your help not out of charity. I do need help in my new enterprise. I am new to this. You are wise to much of the world and its ways. I am secluded in a village on a farm. I have just now ventured beyond its boundaries to the great city. We will work together. We have an ally in Father Thurston. It is a great fortune that has brought him to us. He rallied to our cause without any prodding on my part. He sensed our urgency immediately. You possess that same intuition. It is a skill of the heart that cannot be underestimated in these times."
 
"You are most kind in deed and word. We are in your debt regardless of your graciousness. I am at your service and I do believe we are of a like mind in these matters. I know my child. There is no demon dwelling within her. There is nothing but the purist good shining from her eyes."
 
The four of them walked hastily towards the home of Abramus where Julia awaited them.

 
~~~~~~The home of Abramus
 

"They are here Julia. Valerius, your friend. Your brother has brought him to speak with you."
 
"I have brought my new assistant and her daughter to meet you, Julia. Her daughter is in need of your help. She sees things others do not see in the way you sometimes do. Perhaps you can explain to her what it is like and help her understand."
 
Julia stared forward. At the mention of Florentina seeing things that others didn't see, Julia reacted slightly. She looked to the right in the direction of Florentina, but just a brief glance. She seemed to be considering the situation though it was difficult to tell. She still appeared to be staring blankly.
 
"Florentina sees wolves in the pathway who block her egress. She fears them. I have helped chase them off more than once. She doesn't understand why no one else sees them."
 
"I am Lourdes, Julia. I am her mother. Valerius has taken us in. I am to be his assistant. If you can help my little girl, I would be ever so grateful. She fears the wolves and trembles so when she sees them. I am at a loss as to what I should do. I would throw myself at them, but I see nothing there."
 
"They are there, nonetheless." Julia turned to face Lourdes. "Is the Lord who you speak of… there? You can't even see him. How can you doubt that a wolf with teeth who growls and threatens is there? It isn't a question of her seeing them. The question is why you can't."
 
Lourdes seemed stunned for a moment, but the opportunity to speak to Julia about her daughter overrode any surprise she felt. "Indeed. I understand, truly I do. I mean to say I am at a loss and I find myself inadequate in the face of it. My little girl needs me and I stand like a fool, helpless."
 
"It is a good thing. It is good you admit you don't understand. It is those who claim to understand that cause grief. I don't understand myself and I see things on a grand scale no one I have encountered sees at all. Your daughter is the first I have met to have experienced the like. Come here little one. I have waited a very long time to meet someone special like you." Florentina smiled and ran to Julia who scooped her up and smiled. "Yes, this is indeed a special child."



 



Recognized


This post ran a little long to maintain continuity. I hope it is so incredibly exciting that you didn't notice!!

The feedback continues to be wonderful. Please continue to offer any and all suggestions. I consider everything you offer. Many of your ideas are intriguing. Your support means the world to me. Thank you!


List of characters:

Julia- the current incarnation of Vision. Vision is one of the souls that we are following throughout time. Julia is considered mentally ill. She has recall of past lives in great detail and sees them unfold before her. Very unique.

Valerius- the current incarnation of Sound. Sound is the other soul that we follow. In this lifetime he becomes a physician and is drawn to Julia. As soulmates they are always drawn to each other although they are unaware of their connection.

Petrus- The father of Valerius

Abramus- The father of Julia

Cassius- The brother of Julia

Leopold- A church leader who is of a mind that the mentally ill are demon possessed. A danger to Julia

Trellitia- A mentor to Valerius and sympathetic to Julia. The widow of the former village physician.

Gregorio- Another mentor to Valerius. A well known physician in the great city of Constantinople.

Rastavius- A mentor to Leopold and a leader of the church in the great city. Would kill a demon possessed person to free their souls and has done so. Very dangerous and influential over Leopold.

Lourdes- A young woman that Valerius meets on the road home. Mother of Florentina.

Florentina- Daughter of Lourdes. A new patient for Valerius. Showing signs of mental illness. Loves music like Valerius.

Thurston- Another priest in the village. An ally to Trellitia and Valerius. Left Constantinople to get away from Rastavius and now has to contend with Leopold.



The story takes place about 500 AD. It is the beginning of the Dark Ages right after the fall of Rome. The church is becoming conservative and considering mental illness the work of the devil. It is a danger to Julia and Valerius who wants to treat her and protect her.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.