Self Improvement Non-Fiction posted October 10, 2014


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Being left-handed I was made to feel stupid.

Left-handed, But Not Stupid

by patcelaw


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Left-handed, But Not Stupid

When I was a little girl, I was left-handed, but not left-handed in everything I did. When I started school my teacher tried to switch me from being left-handed when I wrote. I would go home and tell my mother what was happening. Mom went to the school and had a talk with the teacher and in not too many words told the teacher to leave me alone about which hand I chose to write with.

I thought that my mother had my best interests at heart, but years later when I wanted to learn to knit, crochet and sew, I was often told by the same mother that she could not teach me these skills. Why? You got it, because I was left-handed. This was confusing to me as I did so many things right-handed. I batted and threw a ball with my right hand. I washed dishes with my right hand. When I hoed in the garden I was using the hoe in my right hand. When we would be painting in the house I was using my right hand with equal ease as I was using my left hand. So I got to the point that I just quit asking mom to help me learn, sewing, knitting or crochet.

I was a junior in high school and since mom worked at the state mental hospital, there came a time when a patient who had been in the hospital for many years and was going to be released from the hospital needed a place to make the transition to life out of the hospital.

Mom took her into our home to help her make the transition. This lady knew how to crochet so I asked her to teach me how to crochet. I didn't tell her I was left-handed. I just took the hook in my right hand and soon I was crocheting.

Later in life, I learned how to sew and spent every summer as a mother sewing for my three girls. I sewed right-handed with a needle. I also learned from a book how to knit and have won many prizes for my knitted work. I also won prizes for other crochet and sewing items.

After winning many prizes for my work I finally knew, I was left-handed, but not stupid.
- Patricia Lawrence



Recognized


I felt I was stupid for years because of being left-handed, but learned later in life that I was not stupid at all.

Thanks to google search for the photo.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. patcelaw All rights reserved.
patcelaw has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.