General Fiction posted March 27, 2014 Chapters:  ...29 30 -31- 32... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Chaos as the camp tries to plan the next move.

A chapter in the book Yosemite

Ocean Front View & Dream Vacation

by michaelcahill




Background
The earth is in a calamitous state. Survivors in Yosemite may be living in the best real estate on earth. They try to come together to protect their land and lives.
Previously, Johnny and Christine determined who are the people they could trust and who couldn't they trust. They inner circle as they called it was small and as they began to start planning their next move Ma took Johnny to the side and took him, Christine and Linda up to Half-Dome where Lester was looking at the Pacific Ocean through a telescope. It was only twenty-five miles away. The ice-caps were melting. We pick up the story with Linda's reaction to the astonishing news.



"What in holy hell are you talking about, Johnny? What do you mean the Pacific Ocean? You can't see the Pacific Ocean from hear." Linda looked panicked as the thought of what I told her began to take root.
 
"It's right there, Linda. No joke. What I want to know, is that where it's going to stay? Or, is it still rising?" I grabbed my head. It felt like something was buzzing inside of it.
 
Christine and Lester were mimicking my actions. We all had both hands on the sides of our heads. I felt like I was hallucinating. I could see ships on the ocean. A fleet of ships. They were out of focus. No, they were getting clearer. Flags flying. American flags. Rescue. Rescue. Rescue. That word kept occurring to me. Ships, American flags, and that word, rescue, over and over and over.
 
Christine closed her eyes and dropped to her knees. "Block it Johnny! Block it! There is another signal. Look for the other signal Johnny. Lester, can you see the other signal? Look at the bottom. I can't explain it. Look down, look down. Not American."
 
"Jesus, Christine. It's Persian. Ancient Persian. I see it. Lester. See it? Lester?"
 
"I don't rightly know what I'm a seein' , Johnny. Taint American. That’s fer sure."
 
Silence. Whatever it was, stopped. We sat there in silence while Linda looked on stunned.
 
"What in hell are you all talking about? I didn't see anything. What signal? I didn't hear anything. What the hell is going on?" Linda looked like she had seen at least three ghosts.
 
I felt like I had seen three thousand. The dreams were surreal to me. This was intrusive and unwelcome. I felt violated. I suppose "rape" was the word that danced in my mind. I'd never been raped, but I could well imagine that it must feel something like what I just experienced.
 
The dream team. That thought sent a chill up my spine. "Listen, we've got to get back to camp right now. There's no telling what those soldiers are planning right this very minute. They're probably planning for rescue. They may have the whole camp up in arms already."
 
"Johnny, that ocean has sent God knows how many people our way. They can go one direction, north. North is where we are. We can't have those fools taking off on a wild goose chase right now. We need them. They'd be marching to their doom, if they ever made it there. Who knows what lies between here and the new coastline? I doubt it's anything good"
 
"Let's go."
 
Ma had a couple words to say, "Lester and I is gonna lay back here with a couple of the boys. We'll keep our eyes a peeled. You know the signals. Y'all needs us were there. We sees sumpin' comin' we'll let y'all know. Johnny, no nice guy. Take command."
 
I gave Ma a quick squeeze and we were on our way.
 
Sure enough, my worst fears played out in front of me. Camp was in an uproar when we returned. Annie and Jen were arguing with American soldiers who appeared to be packing up to leave. Carlos was with them. Nikolai and Turner were with another group seemingly arguing against their departure as well. The commander, the one we called Putin's wife, laid there dead as hell right were we had left him a couple hours earlier. Jen and Carlos were really going at it. I'd start there.
 
Jen was livid. "Dammit Carlos, you don't just up and leave after all we've been through.  These are strangers. We're your family. What the hell are you thinking? Your child is inside of me. Doesn't that matter to you?"
 
Carlos was apologetic. "Jen, you know it matters. This is my country we're talking about. I made an oath to defend it. I can't turn my back on that. What kind of a man would I be if my word was no good?"
 
It was time for me to step in. "Carlos, the dreams are a trick. They are a trick of the enemy. How can you so quickly forget what happened the last time your beloved country sent us aid? You don't recall the food drops? You remember Tonnie and Nathan don't you? You took an oath to care for them too. They're dead. What about Rhonda and Russell, and your oath to care for them? Is that not your back we'll all be seeing as you march to your death with strangers? Listen to me, all of you!"
 
I stepped back on a little mound of dirt that gave me some elevation. The time to address this crowd had come.

I had to take charge and I had to do it right now. "We have seen what happens to people that follow one of these false dreams. They get poisoned and die. They reach for boxes of food and lethal gas is their prize. Those dreams are not coming from America. They are coming from the enemy. Hundreds dead! Now you want to march like lemmings to your death. Well, I've got news for you. It won't be a long march. We have stood on Half-Dome and seen the Pacific Ocean. It is just south of us about twenty-five miles away. Was that in your dream? The capitol of the United States is under water. Was that in your dream?"
 
All eyes looked my way. All ears awaited my next words. "We have broken the dream code. We know who the enemy is and how to turn their dreams against them. They believe they will be striking a blow against us. We will be striking a blow against them! We will make our stand here. We will not be fooled by the tricks of the enemy. We will defeat the enemy and emerge victorious. We will not rest until our enemy falls to the ground begging for mercy!"
 
A cheer went up through the crowd. I could hear the kinds of noises that soldiers make. I took it to mean they were on-board. I glanced over at Christine and she smiled back. Her eyes told me, "That was one hell of a lie, Recon Johnny. That's why I love you."
 
I had to put Tom and Carlos right at the forefront of our plans to defeat the enemy. That went without saying. There was no plan, but they didn't need to know that. A pretend plan still would take plenty of preparation. I motioned to Tom, Carlos and Turner to join Christine and I. Jen caught my eye and I nodded for her to join us. She and Turner had proven themselves. Carlos had too in an expected, disappointing way. A surprise would've been nice.
 
Information lacked. It would be nice to find some right here in camp. Perhaps, there were untapped resources right here. "Lacci, I need you and Annie to start asking around. We need to find someone that has some knowledge of this global warming that's going on. Have Nikolai ask the Russians. They don't have to be scientists. Anyone that knows anything, knows more than I do."
 
Lacci and the others sought knowledge. Tom had the impression he was in charge of counter-attacking the enemy. Tom and Carlos planned, with Turner there as my eyes and ears. It was good for them to be battle ready. It could come at any point. Nikolai and the Russian troops integrated along with able men and woman in camp. Christine, myself, and the inner circle participated as well. The girls gave instructions in archery. There was a lot of weaponry, but not enough to arm everyone. Knives, arrows and the skill to use them remained a necessity.
 
The camp transformed from the brink of break-up to a well-defended fortress. No one could sneak up on us. Ma and the boys were on top of any threats looming in the distance. They monitored and measured the Pacific Ocean constantly. It appeared stable for the moment.
 
Some kind of trap awaited an unknown number of unwitting victims. We would like to help. But, the victims themselves could be a danger to us. Something would be arriving twenty-five miles away that threatened our existence. We had surprise on our side. We had no idea, as of yet, what they had on their side. Our fortress looked safe and secure. We would sleep on it.


 



Recognized


For the Pacific Ocean to be that close to Yosemite the water level has to have risen at least 90 meters. That puts a lot of California under water, but not all of it. Florida would be essentially gone. The Eastern seaboard would be underwater including Washington D.C.. The list goes on world wide. Suggestions? Input? Help??? Considering the level of the original tragedy and the condition of the atmosphere it is inevitable that global warming would've accelerated. Still working on where the dreams are coming from. The source appears to be the middle east. Am open to any thoughts whatsoever. Thank you for all your help. I'm still behind. But, I read every word of every review and copy most of them into word. I appreciate them more than you can know. Lots of real world interference lately. Working on catching up. Thanks for bearing with me. mikey
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.