General Fiction posted March 14, 2014 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Rescue of friends and recovery of their camp is planned.

A chapter in the book Yosemite

Plans Made and Set in Motion

by michaelcahill




Background
Campers face obstacles as they attempt to survive a disaster at Yosemite.
In the previous installment Johnny and Christine returned to camp to find it overthrown by unknown individuals. The found Linda and Lacci in hiding and eventually Russell who had escaped. Carlos, Jen and Joe where tied up and held captive. Tonnie, Nathan and Rhonda were missing. Annie was deemed to be still loyal, but undercover as a member of the new camp. Plans for rescue were immediately planned. It was determined that they would take back their camp.


Carlos, Jen and the others couldn't have been in a better spot for rescue. They were right by a stand of trees and they provided excellent camouflage. Step one would be to alert the captives to our presence. The only variable happened to be the over exuberance of Russell. I feared that he might give us away. I could hear him exclaiming, "Look! It's Johnny. Everything's gonna' be okay now." We had to take that chance. The four of us couldn't take that camp by ourselves.
 
"Christine, I think we should have arms already in their hands before we make our move. We untie them, arm them and then send Lacci in. When they aren't looking, we attack."
 
Christine looked at Lacci and then at Linda and then at me. "We have it. No matter what happens, we are taking back our camp. One of us should go alone to survey the scene. Maybe get a head count. Maybe see where Tonnie, Nathan and Rhonda are. I'd say I would be the one."
 
I started to protest, but Christine met my protest with her eyes. That constituted our whole discussion right there. No need to go through all the steps that would result in the logical conclusion that she should be the one to go. I knew that. "Agreed."
 
It seemed like an eternity for me. I hadn't been away from Christine this long in months now. I realized that as I waited for her. We had spent every moment of this ordeal together. It also established the level of my love for her. I wanted nothing in the world, but her presence. That level had not been achieved in my life before. Somehow, I had to make it through whatever this disaster happened to be. But, maybe this came about because of the disaster. Would this have happened under normal circumstances? I didn't know if I should even be thinking about such things. Fortunately, a familiar sweet voice interrupted my train of thought.
 
"Ya miss me, Recon Johnny? I found some nice timberland for homesteadin'. Baby David could grow into a fine insane man there." Christine looked pleased with herself. She had Russell with her. "I found this handsome young gentleman wandering by the campsite. I think he had plans to take the camp over all by himself."
 
Russell had his usual smile brimming forth. It had to be in my top three favorite smiles. Christine held the top spot. Russell came in either number two or three depending on my Rosie Perez's availability at any given time. He had a smile that said, "I am smarter than you". It had an endearing quality because he wasn't and he didn't think he was.
 
"How did you escape, Russell?"
 
"It was easy, Johnny. I just kept wiggling my hands over and over and over until the rope got loose and then I shook it off my hands. I tried to help Carlos, but he said for me to get the hell out of there and find some help. He used the "F" word a lot. I asked him if he was mad at me and he said no and that I should get out of there and find help, but I couldn't find any help so, I was gonna rescue them myself and then Christine found me." He smiled as though he had done something wonderful. He had.
 
I wanted to get as many details as possible from him. "Think hard now Russell. Where are Tonnie, Nathan and Rhonda?"
 
"They got sent off into the woods. I haven't seen them. Carlos is hurt. He beat up some of them pretty bad, but they beat him up too. They beat up Jen too, but she got one of them real good. I think she killed him. Joe was asleep so they got him easy. I fought real good, but there was too many for me. I'm not hurt though. They're crazy, Johnny. Talkin' about outer space aliens like in a movie and stuff. Those planes flew over and they went crazy. Carlos told us what they were. I already knew that they were Stealth B-51 bombers. I have a model of one back in my room." He looked pleased with himself, but probably not as pleased with himself as I was with him.
 
"Okay then. Thank you very much, Russell. You have helped us big time. Anything else, Christine?"
 
"They look like they think they have it all totally under control. Jen knows we're here. I caught her eye. That saves a lot of risk and trouble. She nodded over at Annie seated over at the campfire and gave a thumbs up sign. I was surprised so I gave her thumbs up and nodded towards Annie and she shook her head "yes". So, I guess Annie's on board. Makes sense. They'd know about the weapons and tents, everything if she had turned on us. So, they're expecting us. Carlos looks messed up. I don’t think we can count on him, but the others will be ready. I say we go at sundown just like a western movie."
 
Everyone nodded their agreement, even Lacci looked determined. There were no doubts that I could detect anywhere.
 
"We have a few hours until it's time. I suggest we get in a little sleep. I'll take the first hour watch and then we'll trade off every hour until the sun goes down. And then we'll take back our camp in time for evening coffee." I looked at four determined faces that I had great faith in.
 
Linda shook me awake and I noticed the sun very low in the sky. It was getting close now. Christine motioned me to the side. I had something to tell her anyway.
 
"I'm glad you called me over. I had the damnedest dream. Transport planes dropping parachutes with huge packages attached to them. I know that they were supplies. There had to be a dozen of them scattered all over the valley here. ."
 
"That's what I called you over for, Johnny. You beat me to it though. I had that same dream. Now this dream, if it's real, you know, a prediction of the future, I think we should pay attention to it. After we're done taking our camp back. Johnny?"
 
"What is it?" Christine looked pensive.
 
"I want to make sure we're on the same page. Shoot to kill. I'm not losing you to these idiots. They asked for this. They have the numbers and we don't know their mindset. We may be in for a fight. We have to go in with no mercy. That isn't you, I know that. Make it you this once, okay?"
 
"Yes. I see what you mean. I know what has to be done. I know what's at stake. I won't let anyone down. I'm doing what has to be done."
 
We stood side by side and watched the sun slip behind half-dome. I had the feeling that we we're being watched. I had the feeling that there was some goodwill going along with us.
 
Lacci wandered into our camp barely dressed looking confused. "I'm lost. Can anybody help me?"
 
There seemed to be several true gentlemen in this group. Eight men immediately rose and came to assist her. The women held back I was assuming to prepare a suitable meal and find warm clothing for their new honored guests. We snuck in and untied Carlos, Jen and Joe and provided them with suitable weapons. We stuck to our plan of stealth though not an eye was looking in our direction. Annie scooped up Sprinkles and provided a further distraction to the women folk just in case they didn't find Lacci and the interest of the men all that interesting.
 
Carlos caught my eye and nodded in the affirmative. He was indicating that he intended to participate regardless of his condition. I could see it in his eyes, it wasn't up for discussion. We all picked a target and moved forward. We'd give them about two seconds to surrender. If they didn't we wouldn't hesitate. They had no idea that we were approaching. But, they weren't the only men there.
 
Annie yelled out, "behind you!"
 
Christine and I turned, the others fired.



Recognized


Out on a limb and sawing on the branch. Not sure if I am on the right side of it. Great input and suggestions. Anything to offer? It is appreciated. I am behind in answering reviews, but I read every single one and am very grateful. Trying to get caught up. Thank you for every word, mikey
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.