Romance Poetry posted January 30, 2014 Chapters:  ...119 120 -121- 122... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Petrarchan Sonnet

A chapter in the book Little Poems

Blest Beauty

by Treischel

Blest Beauty
(Petrarchan Sonnet)




As I perceive blest beauty of the rose,
Its aura flows from many colored hues.
Oft' seen adorned in reds and pinks and blues,
There's even peach, whose center nearly glows.
Delight abounds where e'er one finds it grows.
You can't go wrong whichever bloom you choose.
Then wiff a waft, as from it fragrance ooze.
To fill the air and titillate the nose.
But, even with these formidable things,
Amazing assets set second-to-none:
The smells, the hues, the beauty that it brings,
Yet there's another charming chime that rings
Adoring notes, the best under the sun.
It's precious you, Dear, for which my heart sings.






Recognized


Truly Blest, my heart sings

Well Valentines day is coming, and my Muse is waxing poetic romance.

This poem is a Petrarchan Sonnet.
Italian (Petrarchan) sonnet: the most famous early sonneteer was Petrarca (known in English as Petrarch). The Sonnet was created by Giacomo da Lentini, head of the Sicilian School under Emperor Frederick II. The first ones were written in Italian. The structure of a typical Italian sonnet of this time included two parts that together formed a compact form of "argument". First, the octave (two quatrains), forms the "proposition", which describes a "problem", or "question", followed by a sestet (two tercets), which proposes a "resolution". Typically, the ninth line initiates what is called the "turn", or "volta", which signals the move from proposition to resolution. Even in sonnets that don't strictly follow the problem/resolution structure, the ninth line still often marks a "turn" by signaling a change in the tone, mood, or stance of the poem.

Later, the a-b-b-a, a-b-b-a pattern became the standard for Italian sonnets. For the closing sestet (last six lines) there were two different possibilities: c-d-e-c-d-e and c-d-c-c-d-c. In time, other variants on this rhyming scheme were introduced, such as c-d-c-d-c-d.
For this poem I chose the c-d-c-c-d-c structure.
Therefore the complete rhyme scheme for this poem is:
abba-abba-cdccdc.

This beautiful peach colored rose was photographed by the author himself at the Lake Harriet Rose Garden in Minneapolis, Minnesota, during September, 2013.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.