War and History Poetry posted January 17, 2014 Chapters:  ...24 26 -27- 28... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A Rondeau Redouble with Envoi

A chapter in the book History and Myth

Culture Clash

by Treischel


Culture Clash
(A Rondeau Redouble with Envoi)


A proud people lived on the plains
Lead by lessons learned long ago
Little of horseman's myth remains
Lived free as wolf and buffalo

Geological records show
These historical ice-age strains
Comanche, Sioux, Arapaho
A proud people lived on the plains

Living off what the land contains
Following vast herds as they go
Their teepees kept off cold and rains
Lead by lessons learned long ago

Tumbled in tragic tale of woe
When life was changed by wagon trains
From a culture they didn't know
Little of horseman's myth remains

Disregard of value caused pain
Guns and numeric overflow
Near extinction with tribe distain
Lived free as wolf and buffalo
A proud People

In anguish the ancestral spirits cried
As these majestic cultures nearly died.
"Enesta!
Tsigoti galvladi atloyadi. "






"Enesta!
Tsigoti galvladi atloyadi."

Cheyenne words from Cherokee dictionary:
Enesta - Hear
Tsigoti - I see
Galvladi - Heaven
Tsigoti - cry

Rough Translation:
"O Hear!
I see heaven cry."

The arrival of Europeans to the Americas was a true clash of cultures. Since the end of the 15th century, the migration of Europeans to the Americas has led to centuries of conflict and adjustment between Old and New World societies. Many Native Americans lived as hunter-gatherer societies and told their histories by oral traditions; Europeans therefore created almost all of the surviving historical record concerning the conflict, and of course with their own spin on it. Native Americans suffered high fatalities from contact with Eurasian diseases to which they had not acquired immunity. Estimates of the pre-Columbian population of what today constitutes the U.S. vary significantly, from 1 million to 18 million. As American expansion reached into the West, settler and miner migrants came into increasing conflict with the Western tribes. These were complex nomadic cultures based on horse culture and seasonal bison hunting. Smallpox epidemics in 1780 - 1782 and 1837 - 1838 brought devastation and drastic depopulation among the Plains Indians. War, disease, and a deliberate policy to eliminate their food source by eliminating the buffalo herds, nearly made these cultures extinct.

This poem is a Rondeau Redouble,
It is a poem with a very complex fixed format. It is written on two rhymes (the a and b rhymes), but in five stanzas of four lines each and one of five lines that repeats a portion of the first line of the poem. Each of the first four lines (which due to the a and b rhymes will be identified in the following stanzas as A1, B1, A2 and B2) get individually repeated in turn once in the following stanzas by becoming successively the respective fourth lines of stanzas 2, 3, 4, & 5; and the first part of the first line is repeated as a short fifth line to conclude the sixth stanza.

The stanzas each carry an abab rhyme scheme.

So with the repeat line shown in numbered capitals, this can be represented as - A1,B1,A2,B2 - b,a,b,A1 - a,b,a,B1 - b,a,b,A2 - a,b,a,B2 - b,a,b,a,(A1).

This poem can have any meter.

This Picture was taken by the Author himself at a state park in August, 2012 while camping near Pipestone, Minnesota.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.