War and History Poetry posted January 14, 2014 Chapters:  ...55 56 -57- 58... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Rondeau Redouble

A chapter in the book Minnesota Poems

Season's Song

by Treischel

Season's Song
(Rondeau Redouble)



When winter wails its season's song.
The shores reflect its icy touch,
When pull of Nature's lure is strong,
With Lake Superior in her clutch.

Seasoned sailors dread oh so much
The storms that make the trip go wrong.
The tales of woe are rife, as such,
When winter wails its season's song.

Fear when the waves are breaking long
For Neptune makes no saving crutch
The tempest drags its doom along
The shores reflect its icy touch.

For sights as these, there is nonesuch.
When sunlit shadows grow oblong
No artist's talent could retouch
When pull of Nature's lure is strong.

Here manmade structures dare belong,
Ore-laden ships or angler's hutch,
Mother Nature can be headstrong
With Lake Superior in her clutch.

Brave ships once financed by the Dutch,
When wrapped within the storm's sarong,
Only strong ones last, inasmuch,
While the weak much too soon are gone
When winter wails.






Recognized


Ice and snowy shore along Lake Superior in Duluth, Minnesota, with waves breaking. Many a ship has been lost on Lake Superior when winter storms blow in. The most famous is the Edmund Fitzgerald. SS Edmund Fitzgerald was an American Great Lakes freighter that sank in a Lake Superior storm on November 10, 1975, with the loss of the entire crew of 29. When launched on June 8, 1958, she was the largest ship on North America's Great Lakes, and she remains the largest to have sunk there.
The Great Lakes, a collection of five freshwater lakes located in North America, have been sailed upon since at least the 17th century, and thousands of ships have been sunk while traversing them. Many of these ships were never found, so the exact number of shipwrecks in the Lakes is unknown; the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum approximates 6,000 ships and 30,000 lives lost, while historian and mariner Mark Thompson has estimated that the total number of wrecks is likely more than 25,000. In the period between 1816, when the Invincible was lost, to the sinking of the Fitzgerald in 1975, the Whitefish Point area alone has claimed at least 240 ships.

This poem is a Rondeau Redouble.
It is a poem with a very complex fixed format. It is written on two rhymes (the a and b rhymes), but in five stanzas of four lines each and one of five lines that repeats a portion of the first line of the poem. Each of the first four lines (which due to the a and b rhymes will be identified in the following stanzas as A1, B1, A2 and B2) get individually repeated in turn once in the following stanzas by becoming successively the respective fourth lines of stanzas 2, 3, 4, & 5; and the first part of the first line is repeated as a short fifth line to conclude the sixth stanza.

The stanzas each carry an abab rhyme scheme.

So with the repeat line shown in numbered capitals, this can be represented as - A1,B1,A2,B2 - b,a,b,A1 - a,b,a,B1 - b,a,b,A2 - a,b,a,B2 - b,a,b,a,(A1).

This poem can have any meter.

This picture was taken by the author himself on Briton Beach at Lake Superior near Duluth, Minnesota in March 2013.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.