Letters and Diary Fiction posted November 29, 2013


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A boy's final letter to his dad.

My Life

Dear Papa,

I know mom won’t understand, so I’m leaving this letter to you, in hopes that you can explain it to her someday. I hurt all the time now. You would think they’d have drugs to make it stop but they don’t. It’s not just because of the pain I chose this. I know soon that will end. My doctors tell me that when the pain goes away it’ll mean the end is near. They don’t exactly say that, but I know their hidden truths.

Because, I will be leaving soon, I will share my truth with you. I have been sick for as long as I can remember, and we have always known how my story would end. Grandma loved to say, “Life is a journey where all living things share the same destination.” If that’s true I hope to see her there.  She also said, “Jimmy, you have an old soul.” I think when your time here is short you mature faster than most. I think I understand things that others don’t or are afraid to.

It’s my life and I choose to do as I see fit. Don’t let anyone tell you, your son was crazy or mentally damaged by illness. I am neither. What I am is tired. I have grown weary of this life, and I want to know what’s beyond. This is not madness, Papa, and I am not depressed or angry. I am beyond all emotion, except for love, and I think I will carry that one with me.

I asked Father Joseph about it and he said, “It’s a mortal sin my son. Only the Lord has the right to take a life.” When I asked him, “If that is true why did He provide so many ways for us to kill each other?” He only said, “God works in mysterious ways.”  He's a good guy, but he has no answers and is afraid to say so.

Well, it’s time for me to go, and please, one more thing; don’t let Father Joseph speak for me. That’s your job, Papa, and I know you’ll do fine.
 
PS: You can have this picture of us when I was little. It’s my favorite.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
                                                                                                                                                                                              Always loved, Jimmy

 



Final Words writing prompt entry
Author information not displayed for this contest.
Writing Prompt
You know you (or your character) is going to die within moments. What are your final words? Describing the circumstances of your pending death, to whom you are speaking, who you are, etc. are all optional.


I'm not advocating suicide and this character does not have a mental illness.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. By the author. All rights reserved.
The Author has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.