Young Adult Fiction posted October 6, 2013 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Twins find a new mother.

A chapter in the book Stories of the Dreamtime

The Googarh Twins

by Aussie

The baby Googarh, or goannas, played happily in the red desert sands - they played all day, not thinking about where their mother was. Chasing each other, nipping tails and eating honey ants. At sundown they were very hungry and they looked up at the ghost gum tree - surely he would know where their mother was.

"Have you seen our mother?" They cried in unison.
"No, but you had better climb my trunk and sleep in my branches." Gum knew the fate of their mother.
Slowly slithering along the ground, Nuraworddubununa, the carpet snake, slyly asked the ghost gum tree if he could sleep in his branches.
"No, you are too fat from feeding, you would never reach my branches "- Gum knew the snake could smell the Googarh twins.
"I suppose you're right, I am well fed today." Nuraworddubununa was asleep in seconds - his meal of goanna eggs would take him all night to digest.

Next morning as the red sun rose over the mountain tops, Gum spoke sternly to the twins:
" The snake sleeps, be careful not to wake him, he will eat you. Follow the trail of the meat-eating ants and you will find food."
The twins thanked the tree and silently slid down his trunk and slowly passed the sleeping, giant carpet snake.

"I can smell meat," one of the twins sniffed the air.
"Me, too!" I am so hungry, all we have eaten is ants and we must do what Gum told us, follow the meat-eating ants to find some food.
Soon they came upon a huge female goanna; hissing and threatening the twins not to come near her kill; never approach a goanna when they are feeding.

The Googarh twins began to cry and the female's motherly instincts began to work on her angry nature - her hissing became quieter.
"My eggs were eaten by Nuraworddubununa, the carpet snake, I am alone without my babies. Come, share my meal with me."
The twins approached her with respect and began to feed on the carcase.
"Our mother didn't come back to feed us, we too are alone." They cried tears together as the mother joined their sadness.
"Your mother was speared by a hunter, you should know that Googarh are the favourite food of the aboriginal hunters. You are too small to hunt for food, I will do the hunting and you can be my children. I will teach you the ways of the Googarh so you will not be caught by man and you will grow up not wanting for food, ever again.
Mother Googarh took the twins with her as she searched for a mate to make more eggs.
And so, the twins were adopted and were taught how to hunt for food, stay clear of the carpet snake and away from man so they would never become food for his tribe.




Recognized


Googarh: goanna. A large egg-laying lizard that is a carnivore; growing to over three feet long, aggressive and fast moving across the desert. They are the favourite food of the aboriginal people who roast them on spits.
Nuraworddubununa: Beautifully patterned carpet snake, non venomous, suffocates large animals and swallows them whole. They can dislocate their jaws to accommodate animals as big as a kangaroo. They have been known (in suburbia) to swallow babies in the cot. Not a nice thought. Some small ones live in the crawl-space of homes and keep the rat population down.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Aussie All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Aussie has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.