Essay Non-Fiction posted September 30, 2013 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Hints on keeping Hearing aids working at home

A chapter in the book Geoffrey's Musings.

Hearing Aids and Their Maintenance

by Sankey



Only recently, we learned from the local Hearing Centre about another thing we need to do to keep our Hearing aids working. (The following only applies to the "over the ear" - type hearing aids.)
We know that from time to time fluid builds up in the tube from the ear to the aid. So we can either use the “puffer” supplied, and blow out the fluid, after disconnecting the tube from the aid. Or we can just put the tube to our lips and blow! Hard! To clear it.
Fluid gets worse in the humid Summer months.

One more thing we need to do for the fluid is, occasionally, place the Hearing Aid in a container with a special ”De-Humidifyling” circular piece of special material, and leave it, overnight.

Another "fix" we found out about,  just this week, is;  every two weeks or so, we should open the battery compartment of the aid and, with a small brush supplied just brush out any dust or ‘foreign bodies', in the battery compartment where the contacts for the amplification mechanism of the aid are located.

Apart from all this, just change your batteries as soon as you get the relevant signal from your aids that tell you it is time to change them.

In one of the chapters of my book in here, I told the story of leaving my hearing aid on the train on return from Broken Hill, in the North West of our state. . Having left the aid in my Sleeping berth, I got into a bit of a panic about it. You can read more of this in my book, but I was glad the railway people helped me get that hearing aid back with not much trouble at all. 

On the funny er ah, side??!
We know  a lady that wears them IN THE HYDROTHERAPY POOL!! Good night!
Years ago I had an "All in the ear" Aid, and it fell on the floor, under the desk in my study, unbeknowns to me. Next morning when I came in, to get on the computer, I TROD on it! Fortunately the amplifier was still intact only cost me $AU30 to get it re made.

 




Just some help for hearing aid users.
Not relevant for "All In the Ear" aids. Some funny stories added as per a reviewer's recommendation.
Picture is one of my hearing aids 'on board!'
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sankey All rights reserved.
Sankey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.