Biographical Non-Fiction posted September 24, 2013 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Triumph No 3 & Alone for a while.

A chapter in the book The Little Dog That Wouldn't Let Go

The 'Red Terror'

by Sankey



Background
They offered me a Departmental Manager position in one of their new stores, closer to my home. I had already set my heart on the job at the University and turned the offer down.

Chapter 7(Word
The "Red Terror" as it was known, was a later model than my (No 2)  car, and I loved the red colour. I came to be known as the "red terror," myself, in my "new" car. These days it's obvious I'm a lot older as I have no hesitation in accusing owners of red cars as being "speed bums," and pushy drivers! Maybe I should add a poem/song I wrote about those types to this book, hmm?
 
The first was at the age of 20, and just after I had obtained my black license. ie...I was off my "P" plates, Thank goodness for that!

I was driving along the dreaded Parramatta Road, Sydney, one day. The road was slippery and greasy because of recent rain. I was just coming up to where the (now closed down) "Keith Lord's Discounts" store was on Parramatta Road, when I, while attempting to stop, on what was a greasy, wet surface - slid into the back of a stationary vehicle, and it hit another, and it hit another and so on, at a set of traffic lights.
 
Fortunately, I had Third party property damage insurance on my vehicle. However, I feel quite sure the little Triumph's front end took most of the damage.  It was a real dilemma for one shocked "Red Terror" Triumph owner to decide what to do with the little car. I remember talking to Mum on the public phone, at the scene, saying...
"I don't want the embarrassment of the neighbours seeing this crumpled up little bomb being towed into the driveway." But, well, that's what we did, and I eventually got over it.
 
I forget how much I paid, but I believe the car was immobile at the time. Anyway, Richard got it on the road for me and the bonnet had been re-sprayed; but never really finished off...you know, cutting back and so on of the paintwork. As I think about it, it probably ended up in the same circumstances at the end of its time with me as it was when I took ownership of it....smashed, GROAN!!

One of the last escapades I undertook, in the "Red Terror", after it had its new bonnet fitted, was an attempt to travel all the way to Grawin, in the North West of our State, from our home at Ryde. The trip was going to be  500miles, almost 1000 km's, one way to the Opal fields, where my Dad lived, at the time.

I had to struggle with heaps of bugs of every description plastering themselves on the windscreen (did not have a decent window washer and 'Bars Bugs' to help at that time!). Added to this was a shonky catch on the forward opening bonnet of the car. There I was: moving with great difficulty down the main street of Dubbo, right on sunset; looking straight into the "not-set-enough-sun!" Together with the problems of a bugged windscreen and occasional obstruction of view by rising bonnet. I haven't even mentioned, yet, that I was experiencing the death throes of an engine starved for fuel because of a faulty fuel line.
 
I think you've worked out, by now, I DIDN'T make it to Grawin. I must admit, however, the little car did well to make it half way! Fortunately, the car collapsed right outside my Aunt's house. I travelled the farthest in the "Red Terror" than I had in any others of my 'Triumph Heralds.'  I made it to Dubbo and return. (After a couple of days while we waited for parts for the petrol pump!) Approximately 500 miles or almost 850 km round trip.

This was the year my Mum was to go overseas to Eritrea as a Missionary-Bookkeeper. She took a "Fear of Flying" course in preparation for the long flight to Africa. A weird thing happened, after having stopped over in Perth in our Western State to meet some Mission supporters. As she began the flight across the Indian Ocean, she noticed the staff pulling up the carpet in the aisle. Following this, they all observed the aircraft jettisoning fuel!

Due to some engine trouble, they had to turn around and head back to Perth airport.  What a scare for a person who had already had a fear of flying not all that long ago!  Everything worked out and she got to Mauritius, the first overnight stop, ok.

I was blessed to have many good friends who looked after me and fed me and did my washing. It was after Mum left I decided to be very naughty and get into a Hire Purchase agreement for a new car.
 



Recognized


First picture is my sadly mangled "Red Terror" and final Triumph. Second picture is my dear old Mum and me at the airport as she is about to depart for about 2 years across to the other side of the world.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Sankey All rights reserved.
Sankey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.