General Fiction posted July 14, 2013 Chapters:  ...49 50 -51- 52... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Story told completely in dialog without tags.

A chapter in the book Short

Doppelganger

by Bill Schott

















"How many times do I have to tell you it wasn't me?"

"One million, Dave. One million. So you've got a ways to go."

"I shouldn't need to deny this at all. If you just look at the evidence, it's clear to see who the culprit is."

"Please don't accuse Erin again."

"I wasn't accus-"

"You as much as did, when you identified who you supposedly saw as a five-foot- three-inch-tall blonde, with a mole on her lip and a tattoo of Pepe LePew on her forearm."

"That could describe any number of people."

"What's up, Jimmy? Dave?"

"Oh! Hi, Amanda! Jimmy and I were just discussing the price of rice in Toledo."

"Actually, Dave here was trying to convince me that Erin was the one who pushed the port-a-potty over that I was in."

"Were you in that thing? I saw that happen. I didn't know it was you in it. I thought it was kind of funny at the time. Man! That was cold!"

"Who pushed it over?"

"Well, it was a couple hundred feet away, across the ball field."

"Dave said it was Erin."

"Not true. I simply gave a general description of someone who could have been her doppelganger."

"Adopted - what?"

"A doppelganger. It's a person or something spooky that looks exactly like another person."

"I know it was you, Dave. You're a doppel-BS-er."

"It wasn't Dave, Jimmy. It was definitely a girl. She had blonde hair, blue eyes, a fake tan, and above average lifting skills."

"You could tell all that from two hundred feet away? I find that a bit of a stretch."

"Okay, maybe she really got some good sun."

"No, no, no! I'm not buying that Erin pushed over my shitter."

"Who said anything about Erin."

"You as much as described her."

"Or her doppelganger."

"No, Dave. Not a doppelganger. Not Erin. Amanda, I'm surprised that you're in on this with him."

"Listen, Jimmy, I'm not IN on anything. I saw someone who looked amazingly like your sweet Erin, or Dave's gobbledanker -"

"Doppelganger."

"WHAT - EVER! I saw her push over that plastic outhouse. If you were in it - it was your one-and-only."

"This is incredible!"

"I'm sorry buddy that she did that, but -"

"No, no, no! You two were in on it together. You both pushed me over. Admit it!"

"It's not true, Jimmy. Hey, look! Here comes Erin now."

"Or her doubledinger."

"Doppelganger."

"WHAT - EVER!"

"Hey guys!"

"Hi, Erin. The boys were just talking about you."

"Boys? Who's the other boy?"

"What do you mean? Jim? Hey! Where'd Jimmy go?!"

"Jimmy? I just left him. He was going to use the portable toilet."

"But - he was here. Amanda and I were talking to him."

"I just saw the two of you over here. That's why I came over. Let's go tip over the pooper while Jimmy's in it."

"Jimmy was here! He was right here accusing Dave and me of tipping over his crapper."

"That's just not possible."

"Dave, maybe we were talking to Jimmy's goppenhammer."

"Goppenhammer?"

"She means doppelganger."

"I mean, you're a douche, Dave."

"Maybe we're in a time rift, girls. What if we keep repeating this same sequence of events over and over. We may start overlapping time and seeing ourselves."

"That makes as much sense as a doople- WHAT-EVER! What do you think, Erin?"

"Yeah, sure. Now let's go push that damn port-a-pooper over before Jimmy or his whammer jammer can get wiped."

"AYE YI YI YI YI YI YI YI !"



 



Dialogue Only Prompt writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a story using only dialogue. No narration, descriptions, or sentence tags. Maximum word count: 1,000

Recognized


I brought this back up for the beach season. Thinking of slapping some shorties together for a book.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.