General Non-Fiction posted February 23, 2013 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
History of Edgar Allan Poe and the Museum

A chapter in the book Baltimore's Museums

The Poe House and Museum

by Mike K2

Edgar Allan Poe is an internationally well known poet and writer of mystery and the macabre. He is also one of the earliest practitioners of the short story and generally considered the inventor of detective fiction. In addition to having published many poems and books, he worked as editor for many publications himself.

Edgar Allan Poe was born in Boston, January 19, 1809 and more or less considered Virginia his home; he also lived in Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York.

The Poe family was established in Baltimore, 1755 by John Poe, great grandfather only a year before his death. Orphaned young, Edgar Allan Poe was taken in by John and Frances Allan, who never formally adopted him.

Poe would find Baltimore a refuge when feuding with John Allan. Poe even claimed to be born in Baltimore, not Boston. He also got his upstart in the literary world as a plaque on the Latrobe House, indicates that was where the decision was made, where Poe won a much needed $50.00 for, "MS. Found in a Bottle."

The Poe House and Museum is located in Baltimore on 203 North Amity Street and was saved by the Poe Society from demolition in the 1930s to make way for public housing, which was built around it.

The house was built in 1830, where Poe's aunt, Maria Clemm resided, starting in 1832. This is also where Edgar Allan Poe resided himself in Baltimore.  She also became his mother-in-law as he married her daughter, his cousin Virginia Clemm.

While Baltimore was one of the places he lived, Poe not only looked upon the city fondly, he passed though it on business, as well as visiting friends. Poe died in Baltimore on October 7, 1849, after being found in the beginning of October in a confused and disheveled condition, hospitalized at Washington College Hospital.

Much speculation about Poe's untimely and death under mysterious circumstance remain even today. The Poe House and Museum contains artifacts related to Poe, as well a presentation on him. They also try to develop a reasonable perspective about the facts of his death.

Poe is buried in Baltimore at grounds of Westminster Hall, where a memorial is also located, as well the mysterious appearance of the Poe Toaster.





I do regret to inform the reader that since October of 2012, the Poe House and Museum has been closed, as Baltimore City ended it stipend of funding, insisting that the museum become self sufficient. It is currently under what I call a receivership of the B&O Museum which has a plan to make the museum self-sufficient. There are plans of reopening the Poe House and Museum later in 2013, and events related to Edgar Allan Poe and supporting the museum continue to occur.

The following sites were used to collection information on Poe and the museum:
The Edgar Allan Poe Society of Baltimore (eapoe.org)

Wikipedia

Edgar Allan Poe
Edgar Allan Poe House and Museum
Maria Clemm
Virginia Clemm


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.