Biographical Non-Fiction posted January 29, 2013 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Founding thoughts that led to today

A chapter in the book From Then and there to Here and Now

Some history

by Cogitator

Doing research is sometimes tedious, but must be done to gain better understanding of any topic. Finding the source of an original thought is always rewarding - to me, at least. I found that the middle of the nineteenth century was exceedingly rich in producing ideas that were world-changing in scope. Having read numerous books printed in the mid-twentieth century and after, I sought the source of these reads.

Virtually all self-help books I had read appeared to have been sourced from James Allen and Wallace Wattles. Even "Psychocybernetics" by Dr. Maxwell Maltz, arguably one of the best self-help books published, seemed to mirror James Allen. Og Mandino, Zig Ziglar, W. Clement Stone, Norman Vincent Peale, and many others followed the same thread first woven by Wattles and Allen.

Wallace Wattles 1860-1911 "The Science of Getting Rich" and James Allen 1864-1912 "As a Man Thinketh"

These works are available for free on the Internet.

Other significant contributors to today's society: George Boole 1815-1864 "The Calculus of Logic" and Charles Babbage 1791-1871 "Ninth Bridgewater Treatise" 1838

Ada Lovelace is thought by some to be the first programmer. Along with Boole and Babbage they pretty much founded computerization. Boolean logic and the binary system are responsible for creating the technological environment we have today.

Phineas Parkurst Quimby 1802-1866 Founder of the New Thought movement was a doctor who used mesmerism and suggestion to have patients heal themselves. One of his patients who healed quickly from his efforts was Mary Baker Eddy.

Mary Baker Eddy 1821-1910 Science and Health (with a key to the Scriptures)
What Eddy did with her experience with Quimby is create Christian Science. The difference between the two is that Quimby did not include theism in his writing whereas Miss Eddy explained it through the works of Jesus.

Robert Fulton 1765-1815 Created steamboat and submarine
Began the industrialization on America.

Thomas Edison 1847-1931 Inventor
Contributed dozens of patented products using the knowledge of the day.

Guglielmo Marconi 1874-1937 Radio Transmission Nobel prize for Physics
First Internet

Samuel F. B. Morse 1791-1872 Morse Code
First electronic communication

With all of this activity came the need for workers. The shift from agricultural to industrial had to be made. Those "in the know" started building factories and staffing them with former farmers, immigrants, and whoever thirsted for money. The country was ready to become a power in the world. If land was needed for the railroads and tracks happened to run through Native American territory, some treaty would be signed to move them to a reservation - or concentration camp, if you will. I don't know of any treaty with Native Americans that was ever honored by the U.S. Government.

The original settlers were kind, family-oriented and community-minded for the most part. They also used much more of their brain in negotiating life than city dwellers of today. The scope of tasks they had to perform to squeeze a living from the land and maintain their homestead necessitated multiple skills.

The newly emerging corporate world did not care much about the individuals creating their profit. It appears that is still the case. In my experience with the corporate world, I found exceptions, of course. Not many. They were the Conscious Competents. Most of the corporate world is operated by conservative Drivers - Conscious Imcompetents.

The conservative mind is incapable of innovation and creativity. It only knows how to use people and resources for its own goals. Creating wage slaves and mind control are the methods used. If conservatives at the turn of the nineteenth century had any vision, our airlines would be named Union Pacific, Santa Fe, Burlington Northern, etc. Conservatives couldn't even see the connection of transportation to any vehicle. They maintain control by keeping the truth from their workers and threatening dissenters.

When Mitt Romney said one of the first things he would do is stop funding PBS, I almost jumped off my chair. Truth hurts, but only hurts liars. He is a lying Conscious Incompetent. He may even be an Analytical Driver, in the Unconscious Incompetent category.

How can someone be taken in by a charlatan like Joseph Smith and propose to run the most powerful country in the world? The reason Smith was assassinated at age 38 was the radical and unreasonable views he tried to publish. They were based on his "visions." His delusions of the first magnitude were taken seriously by many. Like P. T. Barnum said, "There is no underestimating the intelligence of the American public." Joseph Smith was definitely making an effort to take advantage of that statement.

The following chapter is a long one, over 6,000 words. If you have knowledge of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, the chapter addresses the top tier - transcendence. It is one of the best definitions of transcendence I have found in all my research.

Peace...




Not sure yet what I'm going to do with this transition
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Cogitator All rights reserved.
Cogitator has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.