Biographical Non-Fiction posted October 15, 2012


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Remembering my mother

Losing You

by Janilou













I remember losing you. The pain exploded in my chest like shrapnel, destroying my whole world with two simple words -- "She's gone."  I didn't get to be there. Daddy told me not to come, afraid it would frighten you if I flew ten thousand miles to be by your side in those final days.  Walking around my home after I hung up the phone, feeling like an orphaned child, I hardly recognised the adult woman reflected in the bathroom mirror. You were gone. Who was I now?

It's been eight years. Why does it feel as wrong today as the day you left? Does the grief ever really go away? No, it doesn't and I understand that now. I'm still learning to live without you, and sometimes it's easier if I just remember. . . .

I remember the sweet fragrance of your perfume as you lean down to kiss me goodnight. I am seven, or eight, or maybe ten, but you still come in to say goodnight and kiss my cheek. I feel warm, and loved, and safe. I thought you were the prettiest woman in the whole world, and perhaps, because I did, you were. 

I remember picking up the phone to hear your voice so many times . "Hi, honey," you'd say, and we'd talk, sometimes for hours, about life, love, grandchildren and our dreams. The last time we spoke you told me how sick you'd been. "I thought I was going to die," you said, and then went on to assure me you were doing much better. You asked me about Amber, your youngest grandchild. "She is so sweet," you said, and I could hear the love flowing through your words. I told you I loved you. It was the last time I ever heard your voice.

I remember all the times you read to me, as I was growing up. So many different worlds we explored together. Your love of stories inspired who I am today. A writer of stories, of dreams, of memories.  

I remember wondering on the night you died, if I would ever laugh again, or smile, or be happy. Of course I would, because I have your memories and the legacy of your love -- my children. Your granddaughter, Krystal, recorded and sang, Wind Beneath My Wings, at your funeral -- a reflection of the wonderful Nan you were. I look at the quilts and teddy-bears you created and gifted to your grandchildren, and I remember your love once more. As if I could ever really forget.

I remember the night, four years later, that God allowed me to visit you for a few brief moments, to show me you were alive in the spirit, waiting for us in heaven, in a more amazing, incredible place than I could have ever imagined. You told me you were so happy, and never lonely, because you knew we would be together again forever one day. 

I remember losing you and finding you once more, and yet . . . it still hurts to remember losing you.





I Remember writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Begin your non-fiction autobiographical story or poem with the words 'I remember...' Complete the sentence conveying a moment, an object, a feeling, etc. This does not have to be a profound memory, but should allow readers insight into your feelings, observations and/or thoughts. Use at least 100, but not more than 1,000 words. The count should be stated in your author notes.


Recognized


Word count -- 507
Memories can be the most precious, the most devastating things of our lives. I've had my share of both. I choose to remember the good things.

I wrote about my experience that night when God let me see her in this short article, titled "Paint Me An Angel."

http://fanstory.com/displaystory.jsp?hd=1&id=238772&userid=161967&tf=0
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Janilou All rights reserved.
Janilou has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.