Romance Fiction posted May 22, 2011 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Paul and Troy talk.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part three Chapter four

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much.
*****
Early in the afternoon, Paul entered Anna's room and saw the vacant bed. Maybe Anna's having some x-rays or some kind of tests. He went to the nurses' station. "Where's Mrs. Rodgers?"

A heavy-set nurse glanced away from the computer screen. "She's resting. Her husband visited her earlier this morning."

"She's not in her room." He pointed toward the door.

The nurse gasped. "What?" She stood. "She has to be there. She hasn't checked out."

Paul led the way to Anna's room.

Her eyes widened as she realized Anna was missing. "I don't know!"

Bobby burst into the room. "Bitch, where's my son?" He stared at the empty bed, then at the man standing beside the bed.

Paul released a deep breath. This whole mess just got worse. Anna, what did you do? Or should I ask, Troy, what did you do? He turned toward Bobby. "I'm guessing she's not here."

"Who are you? Where's my son?" He grabbed Paul by the arm.

Paul glared down at Bobby, as Bobby released him.

"Pleased to meet you, Mr. Rodgers. I don't know where your son is, or your wife for that matter. Now if you don't mind, I think I'll ask around the nurses' station and try to find some information." Paul left the room, made sure Bobby couldn't hear him, and called Troy. "What did you do with Anna?" He watched Bobby leave the area.

"Hello, to you too, Dad. I don't know what you're talking about. Anna's in the hospital. I was supposed to visit with her over lunch, but got held up at the office and didn't make it." He paused. "Is Anna missing?"

"Yes, and Bobby's looking for her. He bonded out of jail and Anna hasn't gotten around to posting a restraining order. More accurately, he's looking for Michael, who's missing also."

"I can assure you Michael and Anna are together. I'm on my way."

*****
Within thirty minutes, Troy stood beside Paul and stared at Anna's vacant bed. "When you asked, did the nurses know anything?"

"It seems Bobby showed up and threatened to take Michael from her. He attempted to hit her, but a nurse stopped him."

"So they have no idea where Anna and Michael went. That's interesting." Troy scanned the room. "For her to get dressed, get Michael, and leave the hospital, she would have needed help."

"I hope she didn't leave the state."

Troy stared at his father. "Why?"

"She hasn't filed for divorce yet. Bobby could charge her with kidnapping."

Troy plopped in a chair. "Damn. This just gets better and better."

"Do you know how to reach her parents?"

"I don't know her maiden name or where her parents live." Troy sighed.

"She's from some small town in Illinois. Mr. Keller may know how to contact her parents or at least her maiden name or hometown."

"Mr. Keller?" Troy's eyebrows rose.

Paul grinned. "I visited with Anna for quite awhile this morning. Mr. Keller's her boss and recruited her from college." He studied his hands for a moment. "I hope you listened and are in no way involved with this woman. Her husband's going to do his best to trash her."

"Dad, I barely know her. I met her twice during her lunch break. Each time was for less than thirty minutes. As you already know, I take my lunch break at the bookstore so I can keep an eye on my investments." Troy shoved his hands into his pant pockets. "Michael has an ear infection and she didn't have the money for the doctor's visit co-pay or for the medicine. Bobby controls all the money. I paid for them." His eyes met his dad's. "Will that cause problems?"

"Does Bobby know?"

"I don't know if Anna told him." Troy stood. "Let's see what Mr. Keller can tell us."

The two men hurried to their cars and met at The Sit-a-Spell Bookstore.

*****
Troy parked and watched his dad walk toward him. "I doubt Mr. Keller will tell us anything."

Paul nodded. "I agree. Your face tells me you have a plan."

"Let's go in and get a cup of coffee." The men walked inside.

Paul sat at a small round table and watched his son walk toward the manager's office.

Troy returned with two cups of coffee and a book. He handed his dad a cup and sat across the table from him. "I bought this for Anna the first day I met her." He laid the book on the table. "I think I could pretend to be returning it and maybe it would open the door for Mr. Keller and me to have a conversation about Anna."

After taking a sip of coffee he added, "Mr. Keller welcomed me after Aunt Becky died and left me this place. So we've been introduced. He didn't stay long, but we've regularly exchanged greetings."

"Go ahead and see what you can find out. I'll wait here. Think I could get a pastry to go with this coffee?"

"Yes, but you'll have to deal with Mom's fury. Remember your cholesterol?" Troy laughed at his dad's pained expression and shook his head as he left the bookstore.



Recognized


I finished with radiation and I'm waiting for healing to begin. My radialogist stated my burns are within normal range, although they are definitely in the high normal range.
My oldest son, Greg, returned from Afghanistan a few weeks ago and is home for a visit. I am happy to have him home for about a week. I have edited this post many times, but I'm sure my mind has been else where and I've missed something.

Intimate partner violence affects people regardless of income. However, people with lower annual income (below $25K) are at a 3-times higher risk of intimate partner violence than people with higher annual income (over $50K).*
(Bureau of Justice Statistics, Intimate Partner Violence in the U.S. 1993-2004, 2006.)
*Please note that those with less resources are more likely to report incidents of violence

On average between 1993 and 2004, residents of urban areas experienced highest level of nonfatal intimate partner violence. Residents in suburban and rural areas were equally likely to experience such violence, about 20% less than those in urban areas.
(Bureau of Justice Statistics, Intimate Partner Violence in the U.S. 1993-2004, 2006.)

Nearly 2.2 million people called a domestic violence crisis or hot line in 2004 to escape crisis situations, seek advice, or assist someone they thought might be victims.
(National Network to End Domestic Violence)

National Domestic Violence Hotline - 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) and 1-800-787-3224 (TDD)
Every state has their own hotline number
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.