Romance Fiction posted May 1, 2011 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Troy discovers more details about Anna's life.

A chapter in the book Lonely Hearts Meet

Part three chapter three

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Anna is a young mother striving to find a way out of an abusive marriage. She meets a stranger, Troy. Troy fights his own demons. Can they help each other find love, or are their struggles too much.
Early the following morning, Troy knocked on the already opened door. "May I come in?"

Anna's eyes widened. "You're early. Breakfast hasn't even arrived." She glanced at the clock on the wall. "It's six-forty-five."

He set a colorful bouquet of tulips and daisies on the nightstand. "I wanted to make sure I was the first to bring you flowers."

"Thank you. They're beautiful, but you didn't need to do that."

"A beautiful lady needs beautiful flowers."

Her hand touched a swollen and bruised cheek. "I'm far from beautiful." She stared at the blankets covering her.

Troy placed his hand under her chin and raised it so their eyes met. "I think you're beautiful."

After a gulp, she whispered, "Thank you."

"Before I came to your room, I stopped by the nursery and peeked at Michael. He had a peaceful night." Troy moved a chair beside the bed and sat.

"A nurse said he'll be discharged this afternoon. He might have to stay in a state run home until I'm released." Moisture filled her eyes.

"Do you have any friends or family who could help until you get on your feet?"

"No one I trust. My family lives out of state. They warned me about Bobby, but I didn't listen. I thought they were being overprotective."

Troy reached over and took her hand in his. "If you don't want to answer, you don't have to." He glanced around the room, then asked, "Were you pregnant when you married Bobby?"

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she nodded. "I'm sorry." She reached for a tissue and blew her nose. "I've paid for that mistake over and over again, but Michael shouldn't have to. It's not his fault."

"Your family won't let you stay with them because you married Bobby?"

"My family thinks I dishonored them by my behavior and they've disowned me. I called and told them Michael was born. They won't even consider him their grandchild."

A nurse stood in the door. "Mrs. Rodgers needs to be examined. Can you come back in about thirty minutes?"

Troy stood. "I'll get a cup of coffee." He patted her hand. "We'll talk later."

*****
From the door, Troy watched Anna lying in bed. Her eyes were closed. Her untouched breakfast tray set beside the bed. I wonder if she's asleep. He stepped into the room and sat in the chair next to her bed.

"I'm awake."

"I didn't know if you wanted some coffee or not." He held out a cup. "I brought you one. If you don't want it, I'll drink it."

"Sorry, but I'm not a coffee drinker."

"Not a problem." He took a sip. "Have you made any decisions?"

"No. I don't know what I'm going to do. Even if I'm released, I couldn't go home. I don't know how long Bobby's going to be locked up."

"My father will help you decide what options you have and what needs immediate attention."

"I can never repay you for your kindness."

"Knowing you and Michael are safe is all the payment I need." He glanced at his watch. "I better get to work and you need to eat." He uncovered her breakfast plate. "Looks good." He grinned. "Dad should be here in about an hour. Is it all right if I come back and have lunch with you?"

After she nodded and smiled, Troy patted her hand. "Good, I'll see you then."

*****
Anna watched Troy exit the door and nibbled on toast before she drifted off to sleep.

"Bobby no!" she mumbled as her eyes opened wide and sweat rolled down her face. She focused on the room. I'm in the hospital. It must have been a dream. Bobby's in jail, not beating me.

After a few sips of water, Anna touched the bouquet. Troy's so different from Bobby. He brought me flowers and has visited me twice. Bobby didn't bring me flowers or visit me when I delivered Michael. He just showed up to take us home. Once home he demanded I fix his lunch. Troy loaned me money so I could take Michael to the doctor. Bobby beat me so badly I ended up here.

"Ugh, why did I marry this jerk? Why didn't I listen to my parents?" Anna attempted to roll over, but winced. The man who's supposed to love me did this. A total stranger has been kind to me and my son. Without Troy's help I could be dead. How do I get away from Bobby? Now I'm forced to find a way to care for myself and Michael. He deserves so much better.

Tears rolled down her cheeks. Not all men are mean. Dad never beat Mom. I'm sure Troy would never hit women. Anna dried her cheeks. Why couldn't I have met someone like him before I married Bobby?



Recognized


A few of my fans suggested I add some stats in the author's notes. I found these stats at: http://dso.uncc.edu/women/TBN_Web/stats.html
They were updated June 27, 2000

Between 1/3 and 1/2 of all adult women are beaten by their husbands or lovers at some time in their lives. 14% of American women acknowledge having been violently abused by a husband or boyfriend.

92% of women who were physically abused by their partners did not discuss these incidents with their physicians; 57% did not discuss the incidents with anyone.

In the U.S., every 9 seconds a woman is physically abused by her husband.

I just had a request for a 1-800 number. Here it is: National Domestic Violence Hotline - 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) and 1-800-787-3224 (TDD)
Also every state has their own hotline number.



Please understand that this is final section of chapter 3. Chapter 3 was too long to post at once and I divided it up the best way I could. Thank you for reading and reviewing.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.