General Fiction posted January 26, 2011


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anxious Moments ....

A Letter for Michael

by fionageorge






















“Mum, quick, the postman’s coming.” Michael’s excited voice reverberates through the house.
 
“Why so excited? The postie comes every day. Are you expecting something special?” I feign ignorance.
 
“My results! Don't pretend you don’t know. My life depends on this letter!”
 
“Now, Michael, don’t expect too much. I know you’ve put a lot of effort into your studies. But to get into uni to study law, your marks need to be in the top five percent.” Please, God, let him have the marks he deserves. He’s such a good kid, and he’s done it tough.
 
“Mum, I need you to come out with me, I’m nervous,” he says, taking my hand.
 
Suddenly he’s my little boy again. Five years old when he came into our lives; frightened and timid. I had taken his hand and vowed to make life better for him. The abuse he’d suffered, the loss of his father through drugs, he’d seen too much ugliness.
 
Slowly, surely, he began to trust. It wasn’t easy, but we persevered. We wept when he wept, we curled up with him when he had nightmares, and we encouraged him to be the best he could.
 
The system didn’t allow us to adopt. He’d been with us for nearly two years when he chose to call us Mum and Dad. Now eighteen, he comes across as a confident young man. But sometimes his history comes back to haunt him. It was this history that had him set his sights on becoming an advocate for abused children at a young age.
 
Hand in hand we walk toward the white-picket fence to await the postie.
 
“How are ye, Michael? My, Gawd, boy, anybody’d think I was the most popular man in town t’day! All ye young people waiting near y’r letter boxes. Let me see if I have a letter for ye, son!”
 
Patrick rummages through his bag and grins as he pulls out an envelope. “Here ye are, Michael. Good luck.”  
 
Michael’s hands shake. He holds the envelope up, as if he may be able to read the contents without opening it.
 
“Michael, open it!” Now it’s my turn to feel the tension.
 
“Can you open it for me, Mum? I’m too nervous.”
 
I rip the envelope and hand him the piece of paper, still neatly folded.
 
“Mum, whatever this piece of paper tells me, I want you to know that if it wasn’t for you and Dad, I could never have done this. Whatever the results, they’re your achievements too. You saved me, loved me and showed me there is good in this world. I love you. I needed to tell you that first, before I know where my life will lead from here. Thank you for my life.” His brown eyes look deep into mine. I feel a love so overpowering, I cannot speak.
 
Michael turns away, but I hear the sob that escapes his lips. He quickly unfolds the paper to cover up this unfamiliar show of emotion.
 
“Yes! We’ve done it! Look at my score! Ninety-nine point eight!”
 
Thank you, God. Thank you, Michael. You’ll never know how much you’ve enriched our lives, son. 
 



The Letter--flash fiction contest entry

Recognized


Contest Entry.
The topic for this contest is: THE LETTER.
Write a FLASH FICTION story that somehow incorporates the topic. The story does not have to be specifically about the topic, but should clearly incorporate the topic into the story.
Creative approaches are welcomed. But contest voters will be asked to consider the topic when making a choice for a winner.
Minimum length 500 words. Maximum Length 1,000 words.

521 Words

Australian English

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. fionageorge All rights reserved.
fionageorge has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.