Horror and Thriller Fiction posted January 19, 2011


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Things that go bump in the dark

Hands

by Realist101

Dark days lead to even darker nights and every time I try to sleep, something in my room awakens and begins a reign of terror against me. And I cannot fend it off much longer. It is getting bolder as time goes on and soon, very soon, I will have to fight it off or succomb to it's evil will.

I pull the covers up to my chin and begin the familiar vigil, hoping the bodiless appendages will not appear. But just as I begin to doze, my nightly companions visit once again.


The hands come floating toward me. I can see them in the dark corner of my room, a pale movement, reaching, undulating like belly dancers in the night.

They retreat then, to fade back ... back into the shadows. My eyes go dry I stare so intently at the corner. And I think I hear a thump beneath my bed. It can't be. I'm all grown up now. The things that go bump in the night cannot get me anymore.

But I still stare, not believing, yet frozen in fear at what I know I saw.

There they are again. The hands, doing a dance in the dark, getting closer this time and a hard thump accompanies each move they make, like a primal drumbeat urging them on.

Now my heart is pounding and I try to swallow, but the hands are too tight around my throat.



Recognized


Thanks for reading and to Photobucket.com for the loan of this pix...
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Realist101 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Realist101 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.