General Fiction posted October 28, 2010 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
When my time comes.....

A chapter in the book Our Family

Getting The Last Word

by Begin Again





Excuse me, could I get your attention, please.

Damn!

Oops, sorry Lord. Hope you won't hold that slip against me. Trying to get this family's attention is a major chore, but then who am I telling you this? You oughta already know what I'm talking about.

Excuse me, I'd like to say a word or two, after all I am the guest of honor.

Oh, Kaitlyn, don't be scared. Nana's just taking a well deserved nap, honey. In a little while, she'll be free of all these ole aches and pains, sitting on the softest pillow of clouds, watching the angels hand out wings. Remember last Halloween ... you were so cute dancing around in your Tinker Bell wings. Of course, Nana won't be as cute as you. I just hope I get a pair.

Gavin, you look like you're about to croak. Oops, maybe that wasn't the best choice of words, but you know what I mean. Loosen that tie, boy. I know Mommy wanted you to look all grown up, but this is Nana talking. Can't be stifling your growth, not that that's going to happen. You must be growing an inch a day. Anyhow, I just want you to know how proud I am of you and how much I love you. Next time you and Dad are watching the Packers lose ... okay ... okay ... settle down. I'll rephrase that. When the Packers are about to lose to the Bears, I want you to think of Nana. I'll be that big gust of wind ... hot air is what your dad would say ... but you know what I mean. I'll send the football through the goal posts for the winning field goal. Don't tell anyone I told you that though, because we can't have them thinking we fixed the game, or more importantly, that you've gone nuts.

Ahh, here comes Mommy. You two stand over there and watch. Bet she jumps or screams when I talk to her. Don't laugh too loud, because she'll get mad, Can't have one of those 'you know better than that' lectures right now, can we?

Don't cry, Corrine, oops ... Corrie. You know I gave you that lovely name the moment I laid eyes on your beautiful face. Until my dying days ... oh, I can't get use to this ... another bad choice of words, but you know what I mean ... you and I will never see eye to eye on your name or a lot of other things for that matter.

Hey, what are you doing? Please ... you aren't really answering that cell phone are you? I'm trying to talk to you. Lord, help me. Can't you even listen to my last words?

Thank you for hanging up so quickly. I'll try to talk fast before it rings again. Oh, you put it on vibrate. That was considerate of you, thanks.

There's so much I wanted to share with you, but I guess time ran out. I am grateful for all the good times and even for the bad, I guess. At least, we never stayed mad at each other very long and never, ever stopped loving each other. I couldn't ask for a better daughter ... well, maybe your "trucker mouth" could be curbed a little. Ah,ah, don't try to argue with me. If I get to Heaven, I'll see if they've got a miracle cure or at least a little help they can send your way. Though I guess the best cure will be when your darling daughter spews out a mouthful of those colorful words at the most inopportune time ... I'll be laughing my head off. Just remember, I told you so.

Matthew, my baby boy. Ouch! Such a face. Sorry, but you will always be my baby boy regardless of how old you are. Wish I could have stayed around long enough to see your name in lights. It was a dream come true to write a book with you. I believe ... and I know you do, too ... you won't quit until it's on the big screen. As you walk down the red carpet to accept the golden Oscar, I'll be walking right beside you, beaming from ear to ear. I'll try not to smile to big ... don't want the glow washing out the photo ops. My son, the Producer.

Here comes your brother. You're going to have to look after him now. I'm not going to be around. Matthew, I've left you a little extra money ... I know, I know, I didn't have to, but that's what Mom's are for. You can take him to the wrestling matches and a movie now and then. John always loved those times and I know you did as well. Maybe I'll even watch one with you guys, but that's a big maybe. Quit your laughing. I might just surprise you.

Hey, John, I'm really going to miss your big ole hugs and sloppy kisses. God blessed me with a very special young man the day you were born. Some would say your special needs were a burden, but not me. Each and every day you flashed that smile and told me what a good mom I was ... I knew I was blessed.

I'm not going to be there to remind you a package of hot dogs is suppose to last you more than one day, or that your face needs to make friends with the razor, so you're going to have to work on remembering that yourself. I'm sure your brother or sisters will help you out.

I won't bother telling you not to change one thing about yourself, because I know you won't. Everyone's your friend. You've got a heart of gold and enough love to melt all the evil in the world. God's got a special place in Heaven when it's your time to come, but there's no need to hurry, you hear.

Last but far from least, Wendy ... The more you tried to venture in another direction, away from me, it appears you still walked in my shoes. Life hasn't been easy, but you've survived the sorrow and became a stronger person because of it. When things get tough, and you know they will, find the brightest star in the sky. I know you won't share your feelings with anyone so just look up there and I'll be watching, beaming with pride at your successes and helping you up if you stumble. No one else will see me so you don't have to admit you leaned on me or anyone else. You did it on your own!

Oh ... I can't believe it ... my sweet Aussie Sis. You shouldn't have traveled all this way. Yeah, I know. We promised to talk face to face some day, but this is a bit of the extreme, isn't it? Well, maybe not for you ... you've always had that wonderful connection with the other side. Hey, just think, I can sit on the beach with you now, watching those pelicans and laughing as the people walk by. You're the best Sis ever ... even if you did call me Bitch. Thought I'd forget, didn't you? Just kidding ... I finally get to have the last word. So there

As for the rest of my family and every dear friend I have been fortunate to have met, there aren't words for how precious each and every one of you are to me. I've been blessed at times I least expected it. Your helping hands and kindness will forever fill my heart. I hope life showers you with all the blessings you deserve.

Oh, my gosh, I'd be truly sorry if I forgot to express my final thoughts to my FanStory friends. Many of you have lifted my sagging spirit and showered me with stars at some of my lowest points in life. Without your encouragement and support, I might never have fulfilled my dream of writing and sharing my stories. Every day I enjoyed the pleasures of sharing with you, I was blessed.

Oh, turn off the tears ... including mine ... can't ruin my last make-up job. Really like the youthful glow ... hmmph .. who am I kidding? We all know it must be the lights in here because youth left a long, long time ago. They really did a nice job, didn't they? Could have used a little paler lipstick, but I guess it doesn't really matter now, does it? No need to be nit-picking.

I'm not positive where I'm going. If it's the 'hot place', make ups not going to last anyhow. But if I'm blessed and find myself in Heaven, I'll slip God a note telling him how each and everyone of you have blessed me with your friendship and love. You always had room in your heart to spread a little love my way.

No, John, that's not like peanut butter and jelly. Well, maybe it is ... your sweet love certainly stuck to us all.

Dry your tears, put on a happy smile and listen ... They're playing my song.

Oh, when the saints go marching in, Oh when the saints go marching in, I want to be in that number, when the saints go marching in ...

Sorry kids ... I just had to do it!

Love you but I gotta go. I can rest at last. Maybe not. It's probably going to be a full time job watching over each of you. Oh well, you and I already know I'll love every minute of it. You're the best!

One last kiss and hug for each and everyone of you ... No, Mel, you can't have the last word!







A personal eulogy writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
These are your last words. Will they be filled with remorse, joy or adventure? What is there you would like peole to hear, before your remains are disposed of?

Recognized


Thank you Moonwillow for the outstanding photo...
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.