Horror and Thriller Fiction posted October 8, 2010


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A tale narrated by the ghost of a little girl.

Nobody Wanted Me

by BethShelby

I didn't understand a lot of things when I was alive. Now that I don't have a body anymore, my mind seems to work a lot better. I don't miss my body that much. I don't feel the pain, and they can't hurt me anymore. I had just turned six when Evelyn killed me. Evelyn is the mean lady that Daddy married after he didn't live with Mommy anymore. She was always screaming at me and shaking me. She didn't want me there.

Mommy didn't want me either. People said I was retarded and called me damaged goods. I knew I wasn't like other kids, but I just wanted to be loved. Mommy had a man friend, and he hated to be around me. Mommy and Daddy fought over which one of them had to keep me. She said it was Daddy's turn, but Evelyn said they couldn't take me because they had a big party planned.

Mommy took me and my clothes and dropped me off at their house anyway. She and her man friend were going somewhere, and he said he didn't want to be bothered with that 'freak' of hers.

Evelyn was so mad she screamed and stomped her foot. She said, "What am I going to do with that little retard when our friends are here? I'm not going to have her ruining my party like she did the last time. I'm ashamed of her. Look at her stupid face and drooling mouth. It's embarrassing. It's a reflection on you for having a kid like that."

Daddy said, "We're stuck with her. We'll have to figure out some way to keep her out of sight."

Evelyn said, "I've got some sleeping pills. If I give her enough of them, we'll put her to bed, and she will sleep through it."

I didn't want those pills. She'd made me take them before, and they tasted bad. I cried and spit them out when she tried to force them down my throat. She was hurting me, and I screamed and screamed. She yelled, "If you don't shut up, I'll shut you up for good." She put a pillow over my face and held me down and I felt like I was going to explode. I couldn't breathe at all.

Then all of a sudden, I wasn't in the bed any more. I was floating up there in the air, and I could see her still holding that pillow over my face. It didn't make sense how I got over on the other side of the room, but I could still see me. I wasn't hurting or scared anymore.

When she took the pillow off, she started freaking out and hollering. "Bill, come here quick. Something is wrong with this kid. She's all limp. I don't think she's breathing. I was putting her to bed, and she just started screaming and passed out."

Daddy came running, and then, he freaked out too. "My God, I think she's dead. Quick, call an ambulance. Maybe they can revive her."

"No! We can't do that. If she's dead, there's nothing we can do about it. By the time they get here, it will be too late to revive her. We've got all those people coming to our dinner party in a few minutes. What will they think?"

"Well, we can't just leave her here. Someone might walk in here and see her. Are you suggesting that we just go ahead with the party like nothing happened."

"We can't say anything. We need time to think what to do. Somebody might think we did something to her. Listen, I hear the doorbell. Someone is already here. I've got to go and act like a proper hostess. Quick, go put her in that freezer down in the basement. We'll figure something out after the party is over."

Daddy, picked up that little girl that once was me and took her down in the basement. A whole bunch of people came to the party, and Daddy and Evelyn acted like nothing had happened. They laughed and talked and didn't mention me at all. Daddy did act a little nervous, and he drank a lot. Evelyn acted like she was having a good time.

After everybody left, they started talking about what to do, and they decided to say I had run away. They opened a window by my bed and took the screen off. They called the police and told them that when the party was over, they went in check on me and found me missing out of my bed. They said they had seen a man in a green truck hanging around, and they thought maybe he might have taken me.

The next day, it was all over the TV and in the newspapers. All the neighbors were out looking everywhere. They even had some dogs out looking. Dad and Evelyn went on TV, and Daddy cried and begged for whoever had taken his baby to please bring her back and not hurt her. He said if the kidnappers wanted a ransom, he would pay it just to get his precious baby back unharmed.

The police started asking Daddy and Evelyn a bunch of questions. I was watching everything they did and said. I don't get tired anymore and have to sleep, so I can follow them anywhere I want to, and they can't see me.

Daddy said, "We can't leave her in that freezer. We've got to do something with her. The police are starting to suspect us. What if they come searching in the house?"

They got in a big argument and Daddy said it was Evelyn's fault. He was sure she had hurt me, and she should be the one that had to do something about it. Evelyn said, "Look Buddy-boy, it's your kid. You are as guilty as I am, so you get rid of the body."

In the end, Evelyn said, "I'm not going to jail for this. You're a no-good coward, so I'll have to take care of it." She got a bunch of old blankets and wrapped them around my body, and in the night, she sneaked outside and put it the trunk of her car.

When everybody else in the neighborhood was asleep, she drove the car out of the garage without any lights until she got off our street. She drove a long way to a big lake and put my body in the water and covered it up with some big rocks.

Two days later, some guys were out fishing and they found it.
At first, all they saw was my arm floating up. It was all over the news again. They said the body was still frozen inside, and they came and arrested Daddy and Evelyn and took them off to jail. One of the neighbors said she saw Evelyn's car drive off without its lights on at two o'clock in the morning.

There was a funeral for me. Mommy came and cried and said how much she loved me. She said she didn't think she could go on living without me. That was strange, because she never said she loved me when I was with her.

Daddy and Evelyn didn't get to come. They finally told the police that I accidently died because I drank some bleach. They said they got scared and didn't know what else to do. It was a lie, because I never did drink anything that tasted bad. I might have been retarded, but I wasn't crazy. The people who tried them in court knew they were lying, because they never found any bleach in me. They said they could prove I had suffocated.
They figured out Evelyn had done it on purpose.

Daddy and Evelyn are still in prison. I hang around their cells and watch them a lot these days. I think Evelyn knows I'm there because sometimes, she looks straight at me an starts breathing hard and screaming. They have to put a funny jacket on her so she can't move her arms. Then they put her in a place with padding on the walls. I think it's funny, so I intend to keep on hanging around her. I like to see her scream. I've heard everyone is here for a reason. Maybe my reason is just to make her crazy. Evil people like her need to be punished, and I don't think prison is punishment enough.
















Horror Story contest entry

Recognized


Thanks to photogirl44 for the photograph. My apologies to anyone who has a special needs child in their life. I know how precious they are to most parents. Not everyone is equipped to handle their needs and they are often victims of adult cruelty. This story is stongly based on an actual event, but is fiction in that is is told through the eyes of the victim

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. BethShelby All rights reserved.
BethShelby has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.