Commentary and Philosophy Fiction posted September 19, 2010


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
You can never go home ...

Old Yellow Bulb

by Realist101

I saw Momma's porch light glowing in the dark as I approached the old homeplace, and apprehension made me weak. My old truck crunched the gravel leading to the house, a sound I'd almost forgotten--a sound that flooded me with memories ... and regret.

I'd stormed out of their lives ten years ago, my pride not letting me contact them once. A bad heart was claiming what was left of my life, and I needed to make amends.

The stack of letters my folks had sent me over the years lay on the seat beside me, most still unopened. The one from six months ago, written in Momma's beautiful handwriting, told me of her and Daddy's own health issues.

I wished I had opened them sooner.

I sat in front of the old farmhouse as strangers emerged, to ask me if I was lost.



Recognized


This was inspired by a review from Korton, who reminded me that we indeed, "can never go home." LOVE and care for those close to you, even here on Fanstory. Thank you for reading and to Loyd Taylor for another perfect pix!! This is supposed to be a ? micro-flash?
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Realist101 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
Realist101 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.