Romance Fiction posted May 1, 2010 Chapters:  ...43 44 -45- 46... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Leya talks with the sheriff.

A chapter in the book Tantalizing Eyes

Chapter 13, part 3

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Steven works for Task Force 385 and is ordered to protect Leya Vegas. She's the granddaughter of a famous drug lord. Steven marries her to protect her from an arranged marriage. Peggy requests to be put on Steven's team to protect him from Leya.
When Steven arrived in the small nearby town, he walked the busy streets. She should suspect I'll come looking for her and she probably doesn't have much money. She'll need a place to sleep, so I'll start with the hotels. I don't have a photo of her. When he described her, mentioning her beauty, two of the hotel managers said she had asked about reserving a room. When she heard the cost, she had changed her mind.

Steven then checked a few restaurants, but no one had seen her. He needed time to think, he went inside a small cafe and ordered a cup of coffee. Within minutes, the local sheriff entered.

The tall lanky man sat beside Steven and started a conversation.
"Howdy. You're new around here."

"I'm just passing through. I'm looking for my wife. She left our cabin over by the south lake a few hours ago. We had a disagreement. Maybe you've seen her. She's petite, 5'2", weighs about 105 pounds, long black, curly hair, and large dark brown eyes, almost black."

After taking a sip of coffee, Steven continued, "She's wearing a short denim skirt, blue V-neck blouse, and three-inch spiked heels. She's a real looker. If you've seen her, you'd take a second or third look."

The sheriff rubbed his chin. "Is her name Leya Albright, by any chance?"

"Yes, I'm her husband, Steven Albright. Have you seen her?"

"No, but I know where she is. She checked into the women's shelter earlier this afternoon."

"Great. Where is it? I can't wait to end this silly disagreement."

The sheriff stood. "You're not going anywhere close to the women's shelter but you are coming with me. You're under arrest for spousal abuse." Before Steven realized what was happening, the sheriff handcuffed him.

Steven shook his head in disbelief. "What? There's been a mistake. I've never laid a hand on Leya. Not today or any day."

"That's not the story she told."

The sheriff took Steven's arms, but Steven yanked them away. "You don't need to use force. I'll go peacefully. I want this cleared up as much as you do."

Once Steven was behind bars in the small one room sheriff's station, he was handed a telephone. "Matt, you'll never believe this, but I've been arrested for spousal abuse. I'm in jail!"

Matt snickered. "If this wasn't so serious, it'd be funny. I can't leave you alone for a second, can I?"

"I'm glad you're enjoying this but I've never laid a hand on Leya."

"I'll let Joe and Ralph finish processing the crime scene. I'll be there in a few minutes. Try to stay out of trouble until I get there."

"I'm not going anywhere, I'm behind bars."

As Steven hung up, he heard Matt laughing.

*****
When Matt arrived, the sheriff explained, "A lady fitting the description Mr. Albright gave me, and calling herself Leya Albright, entered the women's shelter a few hours ago. She indicated her family was looking for her and if they found her they'd hurt her."

"Did she specifically state she was afraid of her husband?" asked Matt.

"The report I have states she said her family and he's part of her family."

Matt sighed. "Leya meant she's afraid of her biological family, not her husband."

"Mrs. Albright will have to come in tomorrow and identify her husband," said the sheriff. "If there's been a mistake, it can be taken care of then. But, as of now, he's spending the night behind bars."

*****
At breakfast the next morning, Amy Parks, the director of the women's shelter, said to Leya, "Your husband's been arrested."

"Steven's been arrested?" Leya inserted. "Why?" Her eyes widened.

"When you came into the shelter yesterday, you said you were afraid of your family. Remember?"

Leya set her fork down, unable to eat. "It's my uncles and brothers I'm afraid of, not my husband. He's never physically hurt me and never would. How can I fix this?"

"The sheriff's waiting for you at his office. I guess you can take care of everything there."

*****
When Leya entered the sheriff's office, Matt walked to her. "I'm sure this is a misunderstanding."

She stared at her feet. "I'm sorry. I've made another mistake. I never thought anyone would think Steven would physically hurt me. I told them I was afraid of my family. I guess they thought I meant my husband."

She cringed glancing at the gray steel bars. She swallowed hard when she saw Steven sitting on the small bed attached to the wall of the drab cell. She took a deep breath. Now, he'll be even angrier and he'll never forgive me.

Matt introduced her to the sheriff. Leya explained, "It's my uncles, brothers, and cousins I'm afraid of, not my husband. Steven could never hurt me. Yesterday ... I ... hum ...."

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Albright but I need to answer this," interrupted the sheriff as he answered the ringing telephone.

Matt led Leya aside. "Don't tell the sheriff about shooting your father. It's a Federal matter and civilians will only complicate the issue."

"I understand."

When the sheriff returned, he said, "Mrs. Albright, you were saying?"

"My uncles and brothers are upset because I married an American and are trying to force me to end the marriage." She used a heavy Hispanic accent, making certain the sheriff understood she wasn't an American.

The sheriff nodded toward Steven but asked Leya, "So the argument he mentioned was about you leaving in hopes to keep him safe from your family?"

Leya glanced at Steven expecting to see him glaring at her and was shocked to see love in his eyes. "Yes. Steven would never hurt me."

The sheriff took the set of keys from his top desk drawer and unlocked Steven's cell door. "I'm sorry for the inconvenience but I need to make sure these young ladies are protected. I won't allow men to beat women under my watch."

Steven shook his hand. "Thank you for releasing me. I'm glad you take your job seriously."

Leya looked out the front door. I don't want Steven yelling at me over my latest mistake. Since my first mistake, I've shot my father and now Steven's in jail. There's no way he'll forgive me now. She walked out the door.



Recognized


Thank you luvsGod for the artwork 'jail in the fog'. I think it gives my readers an idea of the small town jail where Steven spent the night. I, again, would like to thank my readers for their support. I appreciate each one of you.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.