Romance Fiction posted April 10, 2010 Chapters:  ...40 41 -42- 43... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Leya reveals why Steven left.

A chapter in the book Tantalizing Eyes

Chapter 12; part 1

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Steven works for Task Force 385 and is ordered to protect Leya Vegas. She's the granddaughter of a famous drug lord. Steven marries her to protect her from an arranged marriage. Peggy requests to be put on Steven's team to protect him from Leya.
BACKGROUND:
Steven and Leya made love, but things haven't worked out since.

CHAPTER TWELVE

Steven paced his apartment floor, before he called Matt and listened as Matt asked, "Is Leya all right?"

"Leya's just fine. She has exactly what she wanted." Steven took a deep breath, before he continued, "Our only assignment right now is protecting Leya. The men can handle that. I've saved over ninety days of leave. Can I take vacation time?"

"Where you going?"

"I'd like to go fishing at the Task Force cabin outside of Jackson Hole, Wyoming."

"I hear the fish are biting. The cabin's been vacant for about two months. If you need anything, let me know." Matt hesitated before he added, "If you need to talk, you know where to find me."

"My flight leaves at 0900 hours tomorrow. I'll be gone at least a week, maybe longer."

"Take whatever time you need. Ralph can handle whatever comes up, and I'll send Joe around to ensure things run smoothly."

*****
After Matt hung up, he called Ralph. "What's going on? Honeymoons last longer than a day."

"I don't know. The fight had something to do with why Leya wanted the doctor." Ralph paused before he said, "Leya tried to explain, but Steven wouldn't listen and stormed out."

"How's Leya handling the situation?"

"She's in bed."

"I'm on my way." Matt felt he had overstepped the boundary of Chief of Task Force 385, but had hand picked Steven and they had become close friends through the years. Men act stupid when it comes to the woman they love. I need to give Steven some time.

At the safe house, Matt knocked on Leya's bedroom door. When she didn't answer, he opened the door and entered. She was lying on her stomach wearing a robe, hugging her pillow, and sobbing.

As he sat on the edge of the bed, he put his hand on her back and gently stroked it. "Leya, I'd like to help but I don't know what happened."

Through her sobs, she said, "Steven ... left ... me."

He searched the room. Now what? He brushed her damp, black, curly hair from her cheek. "I think you'd feel better if you showered, dressed, and ate something." He lifted her arm and turned her toward him. "While you're showering, I'll get you something to eat." He helped her stand. "After you've eaten, we'll talk and try to figure out some way to solve this problem. Deal?"

Leya nodded and walked slowly toward the bathroom.

Matt stayed in the kitchen until he was certain Leya had dressed. When he knocked on the door, she whispered, "Come in."

He set a tray of food on her nightstand.

She glanced toward the food. "I'm not hungry."

"At least drink some hot tea. Silea, my mother-in-law, swears hot tea can solve any problem."

She took a few sips. "Thank you." She was silent for a few seconds. "How's Emily?"

"Growing like a weed. I bet she'll grow another inch while I'm visiting with you."

Leya gave a small smile.

Matt saw the chocolate candy bar and a slip of paper on the floor. He picked them up. "I'm guessing Steven brought this from town."

"I'm not sure." She motioned with her hand how Steven had reacted. "He was so angry he threw them on the floor as he left."

Matt laid the candy bar on the tray, then glanced at the slip of paper. "It looks like he ordered some wedding photos." He held the receipt out for her to see.

When she ignored him, he set it on the nightstand and picked up a piece of toast. "Try this." She took the toast from him and nibbled as he asked, "What made Steven angry?"

Moisture filled her eyes. "He wouldn't give me a chance to explain. If I ...." Tears rolled down her cheeks.

Matt put his arms around her. "Everything will work out. Give him time to calm down."

After a moment, she said, "He won't calm down unless he understands why I did what I did. He thinks I used him. He doesn't know I love him. I never got the chance to tell him."

"Leya, what did you do?" She's not capable of doing anything that bad. She must be exaggerating.

Leya dried her cheeks and took a deep breath. "Remember when you came to my father's hacienda to get me?" He nodded, and she continued, "You walked in as Father slapped me." She rubbed her cheek where the bruise had been. "He slapped me because he suspected I'd lied to him." She stared at the floor.

"Lied about what?" What does this have to do with Steven leaving? If she's anything like Dani, she'll eventually get to the point. I need to let her talk.

"The day before, he'd received our marriage certificate. When I confronted him as to why he'd taken his anger out on Mother, he said because if she'd taught me better values, I would've done what was best for the family and wouldn't have married a gringo."

She paused and blew out a deep breath. "He actually said I wouldn't have spread my legs for a gringo. I ignored his insult and told him I was married and it wasn't Mother's fault. I told him he couldn't do anything about it."

Leya took time to blow her nose. "He studied my face and somehow realized Steven and I weren't completely husband and wife. He smiled and made a comment about me still being able to marry Carlos once he had my marriage annulled. I told him he couldn't annul the marriage, because I wasn't a virgin. He slapped me and called me a liar. That's when you walked in."

"How did this come between you and Steven?"

"I never told Steven about that conversation." She turned from Matt, before she continued, "After Steven and I," she closed her eyes, before she added, "made love, I called the doctor for documentation that I wasn't a virgin. I had him send copies to Father and Carlos. I told him to make sure he stated it was consensual. I wanted them to know Steven didn't rape me."

She studied her hands. "I sent a letter to Father and told him I had married for love and was very happy. As I gave the doctor instructions where to send everything, Steven walked in. Steven thinks I only made love with him so I wouldn't be a virgin. He thinks I used him."

"Why didn't you tell Steven about the conversation with your dad?"

"I'm sure Steven told you I had tried to seduce him so I wouldn't have to marry Carlos."

"He did, that's why he married you in the first place."

"Right. After we were married, I quit trying. Steven and I were getting along, and then I fell in love with him. I no longer had a reason to seduce him. I thought if I told him what Father said, he'd think I was still trying."

She dried the tears streaming down her cheeks. "I knew as long as we stayed married Father couldn't force me to marry Carlos. If there came a time when Steven wanted to get the marriage annulled, I'd figure out what to do then."

"Everything's a lot clearer now."

"General Patterson, sorry, I mean Matt. When Steven and I made love it was spontaneous."

"I know, and with time Steven will know it too. But I can understand why he's hurt and angry."

"He was just beginning to trust me. Now he'll never trust me."

"He'll need time to lick his wounds. I'm certain his male ego took a huge hit. Exactly what did he say when he left?"

"I knew he'd risk his career for me but still used him." She paused to take a deep breath. "He said he'd been a sucker and I never cared for him."

Matt cringed. "I'll talk with him and see if I can lessen his pain." He stood and glanced toward the door. "Stay here. The men will make certain you're safe. After I talk with Steven, I'll let you know how it went."

"Thank you."

When Matt walked into Steven's office, Ralph stared at him. "How serious is it?"

Matt shook his head. "I'm not sure Steven can ever trust Leya again."

"Did she relay information to her family?"

"No, this is about their relationship. It has nothing to do with Task Force business." Matt turned and left.



Recognized


Thank you MKPHOTO for your beautiful artwork The Broken Hallelujah. I hope it represents how lonely Leya feels. Once again I would like to thank you for your reviews. Without my fans, I could not do this. I appreciate each one of you. Thank you.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.