Romance Fiction posted March 4, 2010 Chapters:  ...34 35 -36- 37... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Leya is released from the hospital.

A chapter in the book Tantalizing Eyes

Chapter 10; part 1

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Steven works for Task Force 385 and is ordered to protect Leya Vegas. She's the granddaughter of a famous drug lord. Steven marries her to protect her from an arranged marriage. Peggy requests to be put on Steven's team to protect him from Leya.
CHAPTER TEN

Monday morning, Leya was released from the hospital. Steven, Leya, and the team stopped by a shopping center, so Leya could purchase a swimsuit. As the team posted themselves around the store, Ralph and Steven scanned the area, staying close to Leya. Steven rubbed his neck and said, "Leya, hurry, but make sure you buy a conservative suit."

Ralph glared at Steven. "Leya in any swimsuit won't be conservative."

Steven gulped. The thought of Leya in any swimsuit is bothersome. How much longer will I be able to hide my feelings?

Leya searched and finally chose a one-piece black swimsuit.

After it was paid for, Steven cupped her elbow and hurried her from the store. "I guess it's as harmless as any suit."

*****
When they arrived at the safe house, Steven led her through the house to the backdoor. Jim stood on the back steps and opened the door. "Step outside with me."

When she did, she saw her orange kitten and scooped him up, hugging him. "Thank you."

"You really should name him."

She stroked his ears and tilted her head. "How about Oscar?" Lifting him to eye-level, she smiled.

Jim grinned in agreement. "Oscar, it is."

Bob opened the door. "Jim, you're needed for a poker game."

After Jim went inside, Steven and Leya sat on the steps and played with the kitten. Leya watched Steven for a few minutes before she asked, "You asked Jim to take care of Oscar for me, didn't you?"

"I knew you'd want him to follow you to the new safe house."

"You cared about what I wanted?" When he didn't respond, she said, "Thank you."

*****
A few hours later, Steven knocked on Leya's bedroom door. When she didn't answer, he entered and found her asleep. After he brushed a curl from her cheek, he felt her forehead, making certain she didn't have a fever, and pulled the blankets over her a little more.

Before he left the room, he saw the wedding proofs and a premedical book with a folded paper used as a bookmark lying on the nightstand. He picked up the book and opened it, then read:

My
Feelings of love
Come from above

My
Feelings of desire
Set my heart on fire

After staring at Leya, he replaced the poem, kissed her forehead, and whispered, "I love you, Leya."

As he opened the door, Leya raised slightly. "Steven, is that you?"

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to wake you. I was making sure everything's all right."

She smiled. "Thank you for caring, but I still can't figure out why."

He gulped and teased, "I'm just a caring type of guy." He noticed she made no effort to move. "Are you sure you're all right? Do I need to call the doctor?"

"I'm fine, really. I just tire easily."

He heard Ralph call him from his office, glanced toward the hallway, then back at Leya. "If you're sure everything's all right, I'll see you at dinner." He hesitated at the door, but left.

*****
When Leya entered the dining room for dinner, she wore the navy blue slacks and blue sweater Steven had given her.

Bob teased, "I didn't know we were supposed to dress for dinner." He grinned. "You look very nice, by the way."

As she thanked him, Steven entered the room, held the chair for her, and whispered in her ear, "You look fantastic."

The hot air brushing her neck caused goose bumps, as she responded, "You noticed?"

His eyebrows rose. "Of course, I noticed. It'd be impossible not to. Look at my finely tuned team. They're acting like coyotes surrounding their prey."

Jim teased, "We aren't acting like coyotes. We're in love."

The men continued bantering throughout the rest of the meal.

*****
After dinner, Leya headed toward her room and was half way down the hall, when Steven asked, "Would you like to go for a walk?"

"I would like that, but what about security?"

He held the backdoor open for her. "There's a security fence around the property. You're safe."

As the sun began to lower in the west, Steven removed his jacket and placed it around her shoulders. "I bet you don't have a jacket, do you?" When she shook her head no, he said, "I'll see that you get one."

"Thank you, again, for caring."

He didn't respond, as they listened to the crickets and bullfrogs. When they stopped beside the creek, Steven commented, "You do look especially beautiful tonight." He paused. "You don't need to dress seductively to get a man's attention. It comes naturally for you."

"Thank you." A healthy pink covered her cheeks.

There was silence, as Steven bent down and picked up a handful of pebbles and threw them one at a time into the creek.

Leya slowly released a breath. "Why'd you ask me to go for a walk? Did you want to discuss something?"

"Nope, just wanted to spend time alone with you."

There was silence, again.

As Leya walked along the edge of the creek, she slipped on some wet leaves. Steven grabbed her hand to steady her. "You all right?"

"Yes, just clumsy."

He grinned but didn't release her hand. When he adjusted his hand to get a better hold of hers, she stared at their clasped hands.

Steven noticed. "Do you mind?"

"Not at all."

He nodded and took a step. "Let's walk along the creek."

As the sun lowered in the sky, Leya heard a noise and jumped into Steven's arms.

He held her for a few seconds. "It's only an owl."

"Sorry." Leya stood beside Steven, still holding hands and teased, "For a minute I thought it might be a coyote."

He laughed. "I think the only coyotes around here are inside the house. It is getting dark. We better start back."

At the back door of the safe house, Steven put his hand on the doorknob. They stared into each other's eyes, wanting to kiss, but didn't, afraid of where a kiss might lead.



Recognized


I am afraid I should have read this one more time before I posted. I hope I didn't post too soon.
Again thank you to all my fans. I need all your input.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.