Romance Fiction posted February 27, 2010 Chapters:  ...33 34 -35- 36... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The trap is set.

A chapter in the book Tantalizing Eyes

Chapter 9; part three

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Steven works for Task Force 385 and is ordered to protect Leya Vegas. She's the granddaughter of a famous drug lord. Steven marries her to protect her from an arranged marriage. Peggy requests to be put on Steven's team to protect him from Leya.
BACKGROUND:
Leya is recovering in the hospital from yellow fever. Matt decides to set a trap and see whom he catches.


With Leya being subjected to an intensive examination by the doctor, Steven took the opportunity to finally shower and shave. When finished, he headed toward the front door. Leya has almost beaten yellow fever, but I hate being away from her. I'll catch-up on sleep after she's released.

As his hand reached for the door handle, Peggy walked up and grabbed his arm. "I want to know what's going on between you and Ms. Vegas."

He yanked his arm away. "I don't owe you an explanation. Our relationship is off-limits to you."

"We were good friends until she came between us. This morning at the hospital, I heard the doctor say something about a special relationship. That marriage is only one of convenience." Peggy paused, then asked, "Are you in love with her?"

He nodded. "I've fallen in love with Leya. As for our friendship, Leya wasn't the cause of it ending. If you understood we were only friends and would be nothing more, we'd still be friends."

"Have you slept with her?"

"You know better than to ask that," he answered, caught off guard by her bluntness.

"You haven't, have you?"

He opened the door, exited, and muttered, "This conversation is over. I need to get back to the hospital."

*****
After Steven left Task Force 385, Joe noticed Peggy alone in the computer lab. He nudged the lab door open with his foot, pretended to make a cell phone call, and spoke loudly, "Leya Albright will be released from the hospital Saturday around 1100 hours."

He pretended to listen, then said, "We're taking her to the safe house at 117 Maple Street. Most of the team's in mandatory training and won't report until 1800 hours. It's required in order to keep government funding." He pretended to listen again, then replied, "Sure there's a concern about the lack of security for those seven hours, but we can't do anything about it."

*****
On Saturday, Joe and Matt waited anxiously to see if Peggy took the bait. In case she did, Matt, Bob, Joe, Jim, and Derek hid in a wooded area surrounding the house, with the Task Force's special reaction team on alert. Ralph and Steven remained at the hospital in case Peggy discovered the trap.

Steven and Ralph were told Matt had received an intelligence report that the Vegas Cartel might move against Leya. Bob, Jim, Derek, and the special reaction team were told a huge drug deal was going down at the abandoned house.

Around 1300 hours, fifteen men from a drug cartel surrounded the Maple Street house. They entered, found the house vacant, and then left.

Matt called Ralph. "Code Red! I'm on my way with the rest of the team."

*****
Ralph opened the door and nodded at Steven. Steven took his Sig Sauer 9mm from his shoulder holster and chambered a round. All while, he was aware of Leya's eyes on him.

"What's going on?" she asked. "And 'nothing' is the wrong answer."

He paused, meeting her glare. She'd have to be dense not to notice the heightened security - and Leya was smart. "Probably nothing, but Matt got an intelligence report your family may attempt to take you back." He took her hand. "You don't want to go back, do you?" His heart sank when she didn't answer immediately.

She swallowed. "I want to stay here."

"Thought I'd better make sure."

*****
When Matt and the team arrived, they remained out of sight. Ralph and Geoff stayed inside the room with Leya, but made sure they weren't visible from the door or window. Steven sat beside Leya.

It wasn't long before Peggy arrived. She cracked the door and scanned Leya's room. When she saw Leya lying in bed, she decided to leave.

When Peggy turned around, she bumped into Matt. "Oh, excuse me."

"Looking for someone?" he asked.

She avoided eye contact. "I heard Leya was supposed to be released today, but I guess she took a turn for the worse." She paused as she thought about what to say next. "I came to see how she's doing." Her voice stumbled over the words, "I was concerned."

Matt held out his hand. "I need your credentials and weapon. You're under arrest." He called Task Force's security department and ordered an intensive background check on Peggy's previous seven years.

As she handed him her badge, she said, "You're making a mistake. I don't know what you're talking about. Leya's giving her family information. What motive would I have?"

After taking her weapon, Matt motioned for Bob to take her to Task Force, as he answered, "You tried to set Leya up because you think she's the reason Steven hasn't returned your love."

Bob handcuffed Peggy's wrists together, as she snapped, "You're wrong. Steven and I are only friends. Where'd you get the idea I was in love with him. I bet Leya told you."

*****
Steven, Ralph, and Geoff stood at Leya's hospital room door and watched. Once Bob took her away, Matt explained what had happened.

When Steven and Leya were alone, she apologized, "I'm sorry. If I didn't need protection from my family, I wouldn't be at the safe house, and Peggy wouldn't see me as a threat. It all goes back to my family." She took a deep breath and wiped moisture from her eyes. "Everything always goes back to my family."

He took her hand. "Peggy made her own choices. Your family had nothing to do with them."



Recognized


Once again, I want to thank all my fans. Without your support, I could not continue to write. Thank you.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.