Children Poetry posted February 3, 2010 Chapters:  ...19 20 -21- 22... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
5/7/5 #21 in a series of children's western haiku

A chapter in the book Furry Feathered Haiku

Cute Chick

by whizpurr ^-^

lanky wee whooper
wades in marshes and lagoons
survivor of odds





The world population of Whooping Cranes is currently only 320. It has taken over 60 years of help for them to make a comeback. In the 1940's there were only 14 to 16 of them in existence. The Whoopers (a nickname for the Whooping Cranes) lay 2 eggs each nesting season but usually only 1 egg hatches, and, even then, there is a strong chance the hatchling will not survive. Whooping Cranes are the tallest of all North American birds. They have a very distinctive song which sounds like a deep whoop. Disappearing wetlands pose a great threat to them. As well, bumping into powerlines during their long migratory flights between the Canadian North and the Gulf of Texas sometimes ends their lives. Whooping Crane chicks are cute, fluffy and adorable. I am hoping teachers might enjoy using this poem when they are teaching their young students about the endangered species of the world.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. whizpurr ^-^ All rights reserved.
whizpurr ^-^ has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.